Red thread question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red thread question

Sorry to post on the para forum, but a lot of the members who know these things are found here and I need an answer ASAP.
    Plus paras use field gear

I've got an MP-40 mag pouch with the red thread sewn into the pouch material. Anyone ever seen a known original anything with this red line dyed into the material as opposed to sewn? What was this red line for? Marking towards the end of a roll of material? Cut lines for some other item?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Steve in Florida; 01-14-2003, 10:21 PM.

Hi Steve,

I really need to see a photo to help you on this. I assume you are discussing a latewar pouch of some type........the one made out of that tan fabric. Tough to answer your questions without seeing it. Anything is possible in regards to markings/stampings. I just lloked a few of my late tan pouches.......the red lines are sewn in. Not sure why some latewar gear has this....I know someone told me once. On the stud I always like to see some paint or phospahte finish. Sorry, I can not be more absolute...

Willi

PS: Nothing wrong with asking field gear questions. John, Steve and I all like nice field gear.
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Thanks Willi

Thanks!
      Last edited by Steve in Florida; 01-14-2003, 08:48 PM.

Comment

No good Steve! You have to really know your stuff with that website........a minefield!

In all my years of collecting I have only seen a few MP44 pouches for sale....they have always been sets, attached together by the connecting strap. Like MP40 pouches, these things are faked by the ton.

Willi
        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Thanks Willi

Can I ask what you don't like about this pouch in particular? I know what you mean about MP-44 pouches. I've only seen three on eBan over the last three or so years that I believed to be real. The last one I had a bid on and eBan cancelled the auction two days before auction close. The seller then reposted at a higher starting bid. The seller cancelled it himself a couple days before the auction ended screwing the second guy out of it.

Shame because, the pouch was a beaut with red sewn in thread, web closure straps with LUX metal end tabs, leather bottoms and a D&C marked back strap buckle.

Comment

That pouch you described having missed might have been right. The 3 on that site are not.....what is there not to like on that one? Nothing to like is much eaiser. Originals have a flap for each mag.........goes on and on. Without discussing the dealer....

WZ
            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

At first glance, I dismissed the pouch, but looking at a printing of an original MKb42(W) manual, they show a photo of left and right pouches. The earliest web pouches actually had the single flap arrangement (cut in the same pattern as the one shown on the site). The manual lists it as an MP43 pouch. Very interesting. At any rate the big question concern for me is the inked red stripe. Hoping someone has seen it on an original item. My 1943 MP40 pouch has the red threads. Thanks.

Comment

Willi
                Lets not discuss that dealer.....because I am a helmet guy.

Comment

for what it's worth

Hi guys,

Have never seen an inked stripe, only the red thread. Totally with Willi about the pouches on that site, all bad.

IME 44 pouches are among the rarest of field gear, have only seen a hand. They make Fj gas mask bags look common A complete set (beautiful and unissued) sold at the MAX last year for around 3K, AND that was to a dealer!

Regards,
                  John
                  Esse Quam Videri

Comment

errr, that's "have only seen a handful"
                    where is my java?!
                    Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Hi John,

Yes, I saw those mint pouches too....could have had them.....first pair I have seen for a while for sale. Was almost going to mention that before, but decided to not use the price angle in dismissing all the bad ones on that site. Many of us know that dealer.....enough said..

Mkb42 pouches would be worth their weight in gold......

Willi
                      Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X