News flash...a real FJ camo on ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

News flash...a real FJ camo on ebay

This one is not in the best shape, but at least it is real.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=4078

Willi
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Thanks Willi!

Unfortunately I'm the one that has to sell it. I need the cash as I bought a new car (of an expensive brand) as well as several other helmets (see the GD forum).
    I picked the helmet up myself together with another SD camo FJ and M40 SD LW (long gone) for peanuts in 1987 when that was still somewhat possible.
    Attached is a picture of the other FJ helmet found, it is in slightly better condition. This one is not for sale.

Cheers,

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 12-05-2005, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Para Helmet

Great looking helmet Ben!
      Do please let us know when you want to sell that other one. !!

Comment

You are welcome Ben! I didn't know that was your ebay name, but I call them as I see them....hope you get what you need out of it. A pleasure to see a real one. Many visitors here are seeking a FJ camo

Your other one looks like a nice example of tan and green sawdust camo........commonly encountered in Normandy. I think you mentioned your first one had some brown in it. Did they both come from the same area? Any history?

Willi
        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Willi,

to me it seems like there is some brown on it, however, it also could be discolored tan.

You are 100% correct on the other one. Very little of the sawdust remains though and as you can see the rust is bleeding through the camo. You see them "often" in Holland too.

No big story to them. I acquired the from the first farm/house on the right side behind the church in St.Lambert. The house is pressed against the river Dives. Basically it was dumb luck, as usual. We were looking for relics and saw a pile of scrap on the estate. That's why we entered the farm in the first place. I purchased the helmets and a K98 from the house owner after spending two days rifling through his sheds. Went back there in 2001 after our jump in Normandy and came back with yet another K98 and corroded LW helmet. Who knows, maybe next year? The guy keeps looking for me anyway.

Cheers,

Ben

Comment

Very interesting Ben! I undertand you collect US airborne too.......that 506 PIR 101st helmet is superb! You should post it here for all to admire......in fact, would love to have you contribute more. Do you jump in 101st kit? Was thinking about coming over in 2004 for the jump.

Glück ab,

Willi
            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Willi,

I will start to post more stuff in the near future.

Today I received an Luftwaffe splinter camo field jacket from an Austrian vet. It still has the camo boards on. I will post pictures of it later on.

I have attached a picture of the 506th. It is named and fully ID'd. I am now tracing the original owner who survived the savage battle for Opheusden. It is always very gratifying to put a face to a name and hear THE stories!

Regards,

Ben
              Last edited by Ben; 12-05-2005, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Willi,

to answer your questions on the jumps;

I prefer to jump in 82nd attire, I have more of a connection to them.
                I co-organized the June 2001 jump as head of the European team. I really couldn't say if there will be a 2004 jump. We almost lost a guy in 2001 (and yes, he WAS #13 in the stick!) and that scared the sh** out of the French and changed their demeanor somewhat.
                We jumped at around 500 AGL with full equipment and the poor guy just didn't have time enough to have his reserve fully deploy (basically none).
                He survived however.

If there will be a 2004 jump I would be thrilled jumping with you. I would be happy to do your equipment check, just make sure though that I'm in your will!

I have attached some pictures of the 2001.
                BTW, the guy standing in the door is WWII veteran Bob Shaw, he flew the original Normandy mission and held the wheel on our drop run, smooth as ever!

Cheers,

Ben

P.S. I'm the tall ugly one in the middle.
                Last edited by Ben; 12-05-2005, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Drop on La Fiére bridge, 06-03-2001
                  Last edited by Ben; 12-05-2005, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Ausgezeichnet Ben!!! Thanks for sharing. I think some of my guys know you from the "airborne board". I heard about the 2001 jump, I think the guy was an active duty Major, if I am not mistaken.

Look forward to your future contributions. Hope your helmet sale goes well, maybe some here will be interested and will ask you some more questions.

Here is my green/tan sawdust camo.......from a US veteran of the 2nd ID ( I think St Lo). Named to an Oberfeldwebel.

Willi
                    Attached Files
                    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Ben,

Do you guys jump using vintage T-5's?

Gene
                      WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

Willi,

WOW! That camo is almost mint!!
                        I really like the pattern on that one!

I have attached some pictures of my sawdust "Normandy/Holland" helmet. This is a real size 71 for a change.
                        Interesting piece though, it is named to Hans Joachim Flint and he also inscribed some of his campaigns in his helmet. I have never seen that before. It says"Russland, Normandy, Holland".
                        This piece was found after the war in near a Dutch town called Enschede.

Gene,

we jump T10's and MC-1B's, which is the current equivalent of the T5 although it uses a different kind of deployment bag. We have modified our rigs with a "pilot chute" assist which is pulled out of the backpack by the static line. The openings are hard and VERY fast.

The guy was indeed a Major and has been promoted to LTC.

Cheers,

Ben
                        Last edited by Ben; 12-05-2005, 10:59 PM.

Comment

-
                          Last edited by Ben; 12-05-2005, 11:00 PM.

Comment

---
                            Last edited by Ben; 12-05-2005, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Here's the LW Feld division jacket I got today. As you can see it still has the camo shoulder boards. Unfortunately it was "Entnazifiziert" right after the war and thus the eagle was removed.

Willi, have you ever seen these buttons before?? They are original to the jacket. All buttons are original except for one.

Underneat the camo jacket is an interesting LW officer tunic which has been made out of an EM Fliegerblouse and was turned into an Ike jacket style tunic. It is named to OLT. Zöpfe (maybe anyone has heard of him before?) and came with one Fallschirmjäger glove and his wristwatch.

Cheers,

Ben
                              Last edited by Ben; 12-05-2005, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X