FJ Gasmasken taschen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FJ Gasmasken taschen

One of the rarest pieces of FJ specific field gear is the gasmask bag. This is one of the most FJ unique items that the Fallschirmtruppen were issued. From the prewar days to the last days of the war, they insisted on issuing these gasmask bags. Under the "Fallschirmjäger Dienst" section of Luftwaffe Soldbucher you will find the "Gasmaskentasche" listed. Repoductions are common.....thought they lack the exact details of the originals. Sadly, the repros always sell.......

Mint ones are even rarer. Will post some earlier ones later. This is an extremely latwar issue bag, that correctly exhibits latewar features: a phosphate wash over some of the metal fittings, the absence of nickle plating on the zipper and pull tab, the absence of leather reinforcements in the areas that the earlier ones use (they use a type of canvas) or rubber in the case of the filter protection, latewar webbing, latewar Prym snaps and painted steel fitting too. And yes, it has the correct rubber plug...even at such a latewar time.

The maker (3-digit code) is the same maker that made the thin green cotton gasmask bags that were first seen in the pre-Normandy era. This one would look great with a early '45 FJ look..........maybe some MP44 pouches in the same fabric.

Willi

Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Good stuff Willi !
    Would love to see more photos of earlier variations. I was shown one at this year's Beltring which had very large press-studs with a 4 (?) pointed star pattern on the top. Is this a known variant ?
    BTW, all the new fakes from Europe have the green rubber filter bung in the bottom , scary !
    Regards,
    Steve

Comment

Hi Steve,

Yes, I have seen many fakes with the rubber plug. Usually a softer rubber without some of the details. But, other features to the bag hold the key. All the Prym snaps (the large snap) I have seen on these seem to have come from one manufacturer. The tan one above and the thin late green one below. Otherwise have seen all kinds of snap variations. Many different makers and patterns on the inside. I think, but am not sure, that I have seen one with a floral type pattern on the outside.

Here is a midwar heavier fabric bag with black straps. You see these mostly worn in '41 to '43....no hard rules obviously. Made by the maker of the mask themselves. Would rather not show too much detail on the maker's marks. Early "Rapid" zipper. Note the extremely rare aluminum tin that holds the spare lens and is stored inside the bag in a small pocket.

Next is another latewar bag. Made by the same maker as the tan one. Features are not as late as the tan one. Zipper made by "zipp". A very thin green cotton fabric..rather flimsy. Features getting later. Also note another extremely rare spare lens tin in painted steel. Those tins are much rare than the bags.....which are rare enough.

I do have a line on a minty early bag.......black straps with the red lines.....named and unit IDed to a FJ......the only one I am really seeking.

Willi

Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

I can repost the photos if anyone needs to seem them, but since Steve just picked up an original gas mask bag, off of ebay no less, thought I would post some of his photos of it. Just to point out that ebay still yields some rare unique items. We both saw it and Steve decided to go for it. It turns out to be a very clean midwar bag with textbook features. It has a very rare square tropical lenses case and is named to 2 different Luft guys. Steve wants to know if anyone knows where this Flak unit was stationed.

Willi
        Attached Files
        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

The lenses case.
          Attached Files
          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

The rubber plug.
            Attached Files
            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Since Steve did not provide a overall view of the bag this time, here is the exact same bag. Same maker, just mine has the black straps.

Willi
              Attached Files
              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

lenses case

Willi,
                Is the lenses case held closed with a long, thin strip of medical tape? Its a little hard to tell in your picture.

Thanks,

Fergus.

Comment

Not sure Fergus, but it does look like there is tape or something around it. Maybe Steve can tell us. Here si another photo of some gas mask details.
                  Attached Files
                  Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Hi Fergus/Willi,

Regarding the lens-tin, yes, it is sealed with black tape. I have thought about opening it , but have decided to leave it in it original state. I suspect there is a lens cloth and a pair of spare lenses inside, but we will never know !

Regards
                    Steve

Comment

Hi Steve,

Excellent choice to leave alone! If you have to know, take it to your Doctor and get him to X-ray it

Happy New Year,
                      John
                      Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Or just give the tin to me and then you won't have to trouble yourself wondering what is inside..........

Willi
                        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Hi Willi, John & Steve,
                          Have a look how the opened lenses case looks like! It seems there is at least a pair of spare lenses inside.
                          Regards,
                          Joseph

Comment

Sorry, I forgot the most important thing! Here is the URL:
                            http://nomanslandmilitaria.com/W2%20...lenses0002.jpg
                            Joseph

Comment

Thanks for the link Joseph. Here is another similar to Steve's.
                              regards,
                              John
                              Attached Files
                              Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X