Dome stamps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dome stamps.

Hi Guys, having owned my FJ lid two years (early spanner bolt, single decal M38, size 68 shell) I have just discovered it has a dome stamp in it. I have never played around with it for fear of tearing the leather liner and of course have not taken the liner out. But with the aid of a flashlight I have now seen the stamp. Just wondered how many helmets you guys have seen that are dome stamped?
    Cheers, Ade.

Well, let's see...

...got my flashlight; looking in the dome of my Luftwaffe M40DD..wait...there's something there...

Made in North Korea??? I've been had!

Seriously, my helmets have no dome stampings.
    -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

Hi Ralph, thanks for the reply .
      Anyone else seen a dome stamp in an FJ M38, Willi, John....?
      Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Adrian,

Sorry to be slow to reply to your question.

Yes, I've had an M-38 with a very nice dome stamp. Chris Mason now owns this particular helmet, it's the DD M-38 Chris included in the Kurtz book. Because it was so obscured by the liner I never photographed the stamp. If memory serves, this is the only M-38 I've ever had with a dome stamp.

Regards,
        John
        Esse Quam Videri

Comment

A couple of my FJ helmets have dome stamps that are visible. But honestly, I have not checked all of my helmets. Helmets tend to gather dust and dirt in the dome area, so I won't be able to tell unless I clean them........which is something I would never do.

In my early years I used to buy original shells with original paint and remeber having seen several with dome stamps. These shells were used by re-enactors years ago when good repros were not available.....and the shells were in the $300 range. I recall having had an early DD M38 shell in size 66 that had a very clear dome stamp. Though it would not be corecct to draw an absolute opinion based on this, the dome stamps could be an early feature.

Willi
          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Hi Guys, thanks for your replies. I will try and take a photo, but I am not sure how it will come out due to shadow created by the liner.
            Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi again Adrian,

Like Willi, I have to admitt that I had not really looked for stamps in my helmets. It's just something I don't like doing, pulling the liner aside to see. However I just did, and already found three with dome stamps. One of these has a steel liner band, not aluminum, so dome stamps are not exclusive to very early helmets.
              Regards,
              John
              Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Gee John, now I am going to look at mine.... and may even note how many have steel vs aluminum bands. How about zinc? I never really focused on these areas before....may make an interesting topic of study.

Willi
                Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X