Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

57 cuff titles

Hello,
    I've seen some people on this board use the term 57 cufftitle to describe a possible post-war cufftitle (e.g. Kreta, Afrika, FJR, etc.).
    With the service of former Wehrmacht soldiers in the Bundeswehr, the question of how to illustrate their wartime decorations was answered by adapting the medals. This was usually done by replacing the swastika on the original medal with an Iron Cross or oakleaves, etc.
    As far as I know, the cufftitles were never part of the 57 law nor worn by any Bundeswehr soldier. The old jump badge was never adapted for official use, although "57" versions were made for veterans.

Since the campaign and FJR cufftitles were not suspicious, they were used by veterans within their associations. Some units which never had official cufftitles during the war, made them up. Call that "corporate identity" if you want. I've seen the usual FJR 1, 2 and 3, FJR5, FJR6, Fallschirm-Pioniere and Sturmregiment.

Insofar, it is still possible to come across post-war made campaign cufftitles and Regimental cufftitles. Although they are not WW2 issue, they should not be dismissed as fakes since threy represent an important part of Fallschirmjäger history.

best regards,
    Volker

So, what is the difference between a "57" cufftitle and a fake cufftitle? Regarding distinquishing features.
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

I saw cufftitles (Kreta, Afrika, Metz, Kurland) declared as 57 version at many dealer's sites, including the most reputable ones (although I can't right now find any link ) but never thought about the swastika issue. It seemed completely acceptable to made 57 versions of these too - Bundeswehr had new uniforms and probably many ww2 veterans lost their original cuff titles or got them damaged during the war/captivity, so there should be a need for replacements (it's logical to put a brand new cuff title on brand new tunic). The same goes with tank destruction stripes which also exist in 57 variation (i believe this is official one?), although original didn't have any swastika.

Just my 2 cents, valter

Comment

The difference is easy to determine: those cufftitles made by order of the veterans associations for their members since the foundation of the Bund deutscher Fallschirmj******228;ger are a different thing than those Czech fakes made to fool collectors or the stuff available at shows or what can be ordered from various vendors.<O</O
        They were not made in huge numbers and are usually of very good quality. Although some do not have an exact historical original like the cufftitle for the Kameradschaft Fallschirm-Pioniere or FJR5, they are Fallschirmj******228;ger collectibles.
        Some out there who have no real contacts with the veterans and their associations may not be aware of this, but the history of the WW2 German FJ did not end on 8 May, 1945.

best regards,
        Volker<O</O

Comment

Volker: Please explain- Sounds interesting!

John

Originally posted by FJR6
          Some out there who have no real contacts with the veterans and their associations may not be aware of this, but the history of the WW2 German FJ did not end on 8 May, 1945.

best regards,
          Volker<O</O

Comment

Of course they are unique and collectable. So, how can one tell the difference?

Repros/fakes have been around long before any Czech fakes. About 15 years ago the market was flooded with some well-made Polish fake cufftitles. The Kreta titles were especially well-made but badly aged.

My experience with the "57" cufftitles is different than what you have stated. Most authenticate items based on WWII originals. Since the "57" cufftitles were not made to fool collectors of WWII militaria, I have found that they were not as well-made as the WWII originals, nor the fakes which have been on the market for the last 20+ plus years. The fakes are meant to fool collectors and are thereby more accurate when compared to WWII originals. The "57" items, since they were not manufactured to be perfect copies of WWII originals, are not in many cases as nice as some of the fakes. IMO.

It is just the reality of the hobby. The "57" items get dismissed as non-WWII original and therefore thrown in the fake category, even though they were manufactured for legitimate purposes. With most references focusing on original WWII items, most have never had the opportunity to see what the "57" items look like.
            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Hi ,

i have the full set of 57 cufftitles and a paper packet for the Kurland , the cufftitles are slightly different than their WW2 cousins as they were not made to decieve .

The Kurland is machine woven with black thread on a white cloth and looks and feels different from the original , the Kreta i have is done on a very tough starched white band and the stitching on the reverse is very different from the WW2 .

The Afrika is done with a silver thread on a camelhair type brown band and the closest to the WW2 is the Metz but this still wouldn't decieve a collector as it looks brand new and would probably glow under black light .

If anyone wants pics of these send your Email to me .

Comment

Hello,
                can you upload pictures of your post-war cuffbands to photobucket.com and post the URLs here? I'd be interested to see if they look like mine.

best regards,
                Volker

Comment

Hiya,
                  I wondered weather or not this Kreta cuff i have falls into this "57" version. As Grant has already stated this also has a real starch feel to the reverse lining, any comments would be appreciated .
                  cheers bill.
                  Last edited by billcarson; 09-16-2007, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X