Kreta Medallion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kreta Medallion

Hello, I purchased this piece at a show and would appreciate any opinions as to history behind it.
    thanks,b.b.
    Attached Files

Kreta

Reverse
    Attached Files

Comment

kreta

size comparison
      Attached Files

Comment

What you have is a copy. It was produced in the 1990's as a reproduction of a very rare wartime medallion. The wartime medallion came in two sizes, a small one in a cheap white pot metal, and a larger size which contained some German silver. Both are, as I said, very rare. George Petersen had only encountered one of each in the 30 years before he retired from FJ collecting.

Comment

kreta medallion

Thanks for your response chris, this sure does look and feel good to me!
          (quality and age and very heavy, it just feels real!) what tips you off to this
          being a fake? I would love to learn what to look for as it is the only one I have
          seen. I collect mainly heer medals and eks this was something I just thought was neat and had to have.
          thanks,bb

Comment

Hi bb,
            I agree with Chris. These have been offered on eBay for the last 5 or 6 years......in the $15-20 range. I used to see them offered every week.

Like the porcelain Kreta cased medallions, originals of these are exceptionally rare.
            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

kreta

Thanks Willy, I guess I got boned with this one. Where can I see an original?
              bb

Comment

I got George's large one, another member of this forum I believe bought the smaller one.

Comment

Kreta

Chris can you post pics of yours? Thanks bb

Comment

Sorry to be a skeptic here, but I don't think this is one of the more recent fakes - it doesn't appear in the photos to have the glaze that the repros have - also, the wear is more consistent with older silver coins, unlike the repros.

Plus, the fakes that I've handled (and owned) did not have the maker's mark (?) between the F and the 1 on the front ??

Just throwing this out there as part of the learning experience. I'm sure more than one run of fakes has occurred.
                    If only I could be half the man my dog thinks I am

Comment

Perhaps you didn't read my answer carefully, or my answer wasn't clear. There are ZERO ORIGINALS in existence in this color of metal (brass/bronze/gold/yellow). They were never manufactured in this color. None. Zero. Never existed. Fake. Copy. Reproduction. The only two known originals of this coin on Planet Earth are in a silver/white metal/alluminum alloy material. If it is this color, it is fake.

Comment

No, I did not take it as "ZERO ORIGINALS in existence in this color of metal". That defines it clearly now.

If this is indeed the case, then there have been multiple strikes of these made, that, as with other repro militaria, have been artificially aged.
                        If only I could be half the man my dog thinks I am

Comment

kreta

Hello, can someone please post a picture of a known original, if anyone has one? thanks,bb

Comment

Originally posted by Ardennes
                            If this is indeed the case, then there have been multiple strikes of these made, that, as with other repro militaria, have been artificially aged.
                            A year or so ago, there would be many of these on ebay, all at the same time.
                            Esse Quam Videri

Comment

No doubt there have been, and crooks have made them look older.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X