Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FJ RKT ID help please

Who might this be?

To the best of my knowledge, he is Horst Trebes (1916-1944).
    Ritterkreuz (238) on 9 july 1941 as Oberleutnant and leader of III./ Fallschirm - J******228;ger-Sturm-Regiment I.
    Obltn. Horst Trebes was involved in a tragic accident. After the operation on Crete he was awarded the RK and celebrated it in Halberstadt with some FJs. The night party had a tragic ending: Oberj******228;ger Karl Polzin (member of the Trupp 4 at Eben Emael, and one of the famous Fjs depicted in the photos taken after the attack) was shot and killed "by accident" by Trebes. Polzin was sleeping in the bathroom and Trebes insisted on awakening him shooting his pistol... It******180;s easy to imagine the scene and the "situation under total control after a night party" before shooting him...
    His mother-in-law saved him from death penalty. She had worked as a nurse during WWI and met Hermann G******246;ring in the Lazarett where she was. After recovering from his wounds, G******246;ring promised he would help her in the future, in case of need. She asked him the favour and G******246;ring interceded on Trebes******180;behalf.
    Anyway, Horst Trebes lost his Offz. graduation, as well as every order and badge. J******228;ger Trebes was engaged again in Africa, where he lost his right arm in action. He was KIA in Normandy at St. Denys-Le-Gast, near Carentan, on July 29, 1944. He was at that time Hauptmann and commander of III./FJR6.
    Try also this link
    http://www.wehrmacht-awards.net/foru...t=horst+trebes
    Best regards. ******211;scar

Comment

Years ago at a Treffen I spoke with a veteran who was present that night. He said Polzin had gotten drunk and passed out in a toilet stall with the door closed. Trebes, who was also drunk, could not rouse Polzin by banging on the stall door or shouting. He drew his pistol and fired into the floor, but the bullet richoched off the concrete floor, and, in a one-in-a-million chance, struck Polzin inside the stall and killed him. Trebes was ruined, but more than anything his RK saved him. A German officer, and a paratrooper hero, could not be dragged through a court martial for such a thing without disgracing the entire Luftwaffe. Trebes was also emotionally shattered by the incident, and became reckless, even suicidal, in the face of the enemy, eventually being killed in action in Normany, as noted. The veteran shook his head at the end of this story and added, "it was for the best," reflecting an opinion about Trebes' death as the end to the tragic affair that I think is widely shared among surviving veterans.

Comment

Chris, that is a very sad story. Thank you for sharing though.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X