Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Museums in Diekirch and Bastogne

Hi all

The Saturday before the Ciney show I visited the museums in Diekirch/Luxenbourg and Bastogne/Belgium. The Diekirch museum is probably the museum with the most stuff on display on the continent! It's in private hands but had meanwhile been recognized by the local authorities as being the "national army museum". The collection is mostly presented in 1:1 scale dioramas, many of them copied directly from period photos! Simply superb...but the lighting conditions are rather poor and make photographing very difficult. Not too much FJ gear in there but a bit anyway...
    The owner must have at least 30 MP44s in his various dioramas, most of those are around the battle of the buldge and hence they fit in very nicely.
    The second museum is the one in Bastogne, here 1:1 sacle dioramas as well, presented in a new, purpose built, building and in a very modern way. Not too much on display, though. More a tourist's place...

cheers
    Uwe

pic 2

Comment

Bastogne pic 1

Comment

Bastogne pic 2

Comment

Bastogne pic 3

Comment

Bastogne pic 4

...if someone wants more or larger pics just mail me and we can arrange either an e-mail transfer or a CD...

cheers
            Uwe

Comment

Great pics Uwe. For me; I rate the Diekirch museum as one of the best I have ever been and the best dealing with the battle of the Bulge. My favorite is the Sauer crossing diorama in the basment.

I don't like the Bastogne museum. I see they renewed it but the last time paid a visit in 2001, I was disappointed. As you say it's more a tourist place.

Jürg
              Strength and Honour
              http://standwheretheyfought.jimdo.com/

Comment

...Sauer Crossing...

...not exactly Fallschirmjaeger but very impressiv...

Comment

pic 2

Comment

pic 3

...last none FJ one...promissed!

Comment

Do you also have pictures of the 28th inf div? If so could you PM me?

Sebas

Comment

28th Div

Hi Sebas

What do you mean with 28th Div pics? Originals or something from the museum?

Uwe

Comment

I know Diekirch has some AWESOME dysplays of the US 28th inf div (keystone) so maybe you made some pics that I can see...(Im a collector of the 28th!)

Sbas

Comment

That Fj In Water Pattern Smock

Man they could have made a better pose on this guy ,he just looks a little to ?i mean what was the dummy they used from a shop or,look at the hands
                            Last edited by Fallschirmjaeger; 11-02-2005, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Here is a Group photo taken by the Sherman near the front gate entrance of the Diekirch Museum back in 1990. I did alot of volunteer work for the Museum in those days. We had finished dressing up some young GI's from the 4-12th Infantry, 8th Infantry Division out of Baumholder, Germany. I was assigned at that time to the 3rd of the 12th. The soldiers were about to do a road march (a parade) into Ettelbrueck signifying it's Liberation in 1944 and participating in Rememberance Day Activities. I'm standing to your right in the photo wearing a Black Sweatshirt. Bill Petz
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X