New Fallschirmjager Rgt 2 - 1944

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Fallschirmjager Rgt 2 - 1944

Hi all, this is a unit history question, Fjr2 was reformed in September 44, the 1st battalion being used as a cadre for Fjr 10 and the 2nd and 3rd Battalions being lost at Brest. Can anyone tell me who/what was used as the cadre for the raising of this new unit - I know that the new 1st battalion was independant and fought alongside Fjr6 in Holland as part of 'Operation Market Garden', but what was used to form this unit? I have read that some personnel from the 'Feldherrenhalle' paratroop unit were used to fill the ranks of fjr2 and fjr6 at this point but who else?

Thanks,

Paul Marsh

A lot of the Fallschirm units raised in September 1944 were men already under training (Fallschirmjager Ausbildung Regiment's) and other Luftwaffe units such as Flieger Regimenten and groundcrew units now no longer needed forinstance. Only the 'Stam' was made of the remnants of the old FSR2

I/FJR 2 was commanded by Haupmann Finzel in September 1944. Battalion consisted of 4 Kp's. Strength:- 8 / 81 /465 men.
    The unit was put under command of Kampfgruppe Dreyer who commanded a Regiment as part of 85 I.D. The other infantry Regiment of 85 I.D.
    was commanded by v.d Heydte. During September 44 the battalion was used as a 'firebrigade'and was put more than once direct under command of FSR6, but only for a few days each time...

Comment

Thanks Pietje, but with the main body of Fjr2 being captured at brest and the old 1st battalion being part of Rgt 10 what was used to form the 'Stam'?

Comment

I do believe men who had been wounded from the original unit... I have no records of this but that happened all the time... They used the experience of those men to train the 'green' troops...

Comment

Hello Paul,
          what do you give for a copy of the official Regimental history of FJR2?
          Willi Kammann, author of "Der Weg der 2. Fallschirmjäger-Division" wanted to write a Regimental history for every unit which belonged to 2FJD, but passed away before he could finish the project.
          However, he had finished the manuscript for FJR2 and Arnold von Roon and Werner Ewald privately published it with 100 copies making this a very rare book.
          I own one of those. If you are interested, I can xerox the book for you. PM me if you are interested.

best regards,
          Volker

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X