This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paratrooper cover helmet field made?

Hi guys have the opportunity to buy this cover at a very good price and considering that factory issued ones are way out of my affordable range reckon this one would look nice for display, having said that is interesting how is constructed and also looks that the sewing looks period would be great to hearing from you, regards
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jlga; 08-05-2020, 02:28 AM.

Any opinions please?

Comment

You say that “the sewing looks period”. What does period sewing look like?
      When you go home
      Tell them for us and say
      For your tomorrow
      We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
      Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Originally posted by WalterB View Post
        So it was "made in a field", but when?

N

Comment

Originally posted by WalterB View Post
          Hi Walter nice talking to you again, sure what I meant is that it looks "old" but surely we do not work on feelings but on facts and the fact is that there is no proof whatsoever about this cover being manufactured neither period nor postwar nevertheless I like the way is constructed and also how it looks reckon would look nice for display

If the material is original which looks to be so then it would not be such a bad deal since textbook covers as I stated are too expensive
          Last edited by jlga; 08-06-2020, 07:28 AM.

Comment

It is not a wartime field made cover. For the last 40+ years folks have been making these for reenacting, or just to sell.

I bought a fake clip-on splinter cover in the mid-1980s in Germany for reenacting, sold it for $100 back around 2005, and that unscrupulous well-known former FJ collector, here in the US, sold it as an original.
            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Great Willi glad to hearing that from you only one question is the material of this cover wartime?

Comment

Originally posted by jlga View Post

Hi Walter nice talking to you again, sure what I meant is that it looks "old" but surely we do not work on feelings but on facts and the fact is that there is no proof whatsoever about this cover being manufactured neither period nor postwar nevertheless I like the way is constructed and also how it looks reckon would look nice for display

If the material is original which looks to be so then it would not be such a bad deal since textbook covers as I stated are too expensive
                Understood jlga. Material looks like authentic zeltbahn. I agree with you that it looks to be well made (a lot of attention to detail). That actually detracts from being an authentic, period made, field cover (but that is my personal opinion and I have no way of proving it). As mentioned before, with field made covers, solid provenance is everything.
                When you go home
                Tell them for us and say
                For your tomorrow
                We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
                Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Sell with a good story for 200 euros .....come on.....
                  Anyway, if you are a collector and that you've really found such stuff by yourself, you do not sell it and you keep it for you. I found some "oddities" but was very glad to keep them in my collection.

Comment

Originally posted by Fsoq View Post
                    Sell with a good story for 200 euros .....come on ????
                    Anyway, if you are a collector and that you've really found such stuff by yourself, you do not sell it and you keep it for you. I found some "oddities" but was very glad to keep it in my collection.
                    Appreciate your help and you have made a very good point which I totally agree with

Comment

Requires a total leap of faith. A leap any wise, experienced collector ought not make!

A field made cover would most likely be of far simpler construction.
                      Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Does it come from the field beside the barn in Normandy that your other creation came from ?

Comment

Owen come on let s be serious mate no need to mock around we are all learning and not everyone has got your knowledge but I guess you already knew that fortunately as you know I managed to ammend my error and returned the cover back

Comment

Again was it made in the field beside the barn find fake other cover ?
                            i think you know exactly what I am talking about so enough if the game playing.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X