M38 Fallschirmjager Helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M38 Fallschirmjager Helmet

I need the help and advice of the forum please.

it is with regard my M38 helmet with a damaged cut chinstrap, I would like to purchase an original chinstrap to replace the damaged one, has anybody an original replacement they could sell me, or advise where I might buy one please?

Thank you, Keith IMG_9035.PNG
    Attached Files

leave it as it is......

Comment

No replace it! Nice helmet

Comment

I too would leave it as is. There are more helmets out there then chinstraps, so trying to find another will cost you a lot, and you will have to disassemble the helmet. Disassembling a helmet today is not a wise collector move, IMO.

If it really troubles you, and since it appears it was not intentionally damaged, you could always stitch it together. It will display better and you won't have to take it apart. Plus, it can be undone in the future. Some, in the past, have repaired damaged chinstraps with leather glue.

IMO, a repaired chinstrap is MUCH better than a replaced one.
        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Replacing the chinstrap will kill the helmet as a true collector piece. Echoing Willi’s comment, I would leave as is, or at the very most, apply a stitch or two to join the broken strap.
          When you go home
          Tell them for us and say
          For your tomorrow
          We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
          Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

plus 1 as willi said the best is to let helmet in this original condition. better a broken chinstrap as a replaced one

Comment

Just my opinion but I would not repair or replace it. I would leave exactly as is.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Z. View Post
                I too would leave it as is. There are more helmets out there then chinstraps, so trying to find another will cost you a lot, and you will have to disassemble the helmet. Disassembling a helmet today is not a wise collector move, IMO.

If it really troubles you, and since it appears it was not intentionally damaged, you could always stitch it together. It will display better and you won't have to take it apart. Plus, it can be undone in the future. Some, in the past, have repaired damaged chinstraps with leather glue.

IMO, a repaired chinstrap is MUCH better than a replaced one.
                I agree. A couple of stitches are vastly better than a glue repair IMO.
                Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

At the end of the day it is your choice, but original chinstraps in good condition are very hard to find. This makes them very expensive. Dealers often ask $1k-$2k depending on condition.

Comment

I’d be more intrigued as to why the wear is not consistent through out .

Comment

The chinstrap appears to be cut with a clean edge although done by scissors or similar, if it were a break through wear the edge would have a ragged appearance. It is possible that the chinstrap was cut to remove the helmet from a casualty or body.
                      just my opinion

Comment

Thank you all for your input, the chinstrap will remain with the helmet untouched

The chinstrap break has age but appears to be cut with a clean edge although done by scissors or similar, if it were a break through wear the edge would have a ragged appearance. It is possible that the chinstrap was cut to remove the helmet from a casualty or body. Just my opinion.

Comment

IMO, it is broken not cut. It does indeed have rough edges. A cut strap is much cleaner, and unlike breaks, they do not take place at that location. Breaks in that location are common due to bending before the stitched area. Cuts generally take place on the long sections.
                          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Tried to enlarge the picture looks like a break in the strap to me.
                            Attached Files
                            Give a man an opinion and you feed him for a day,
                            teach a man to use the "search" function on the WAF and you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

I agree, a break rather than a cut. Thank you all for the contributions

Keith

Originally posted by Lenny W View Post
                              Tried to enlarge the picture looks like a break in the strap to me.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X