demjanskbattlefield

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Die grünen Teufel von Monte Cassino (1958)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Die grünen Teufel von Monte Cassino (1958)

Just FYI, the 1958 German movie "The Green Devils of Monte Cassino" is available on tubi for free: https://tubitv.com/movies/502431/the..._monte_cassino

Joachim Fuchsberger, who stars, was an FJ vet in real life.

Sorry if this belongs on the books and media forum, but I figured this would be of particular interest to the FJ collectors.

MV5BNWQ4MGUwZmQtMTNiMi00ODFmLTg1ZTgtNTI0ZmViNGE0ZDcyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUzNzQ4NDQ@._V1_.jpg

Whatever tubi is it doesn’t play in Europe....sounds an interesting film, I’ve heard of it.....authentic helmets & uniforms too ? From the poster it appears not ....

Comment

I just discovered tubi myself this past weekend, it’s just another streaming site/app but they have a lot of obscure titles. Sorry to hear it doesn’t work in Europe.

Anyway the helmets are definitely fake, but in general it’s impressive how much effort they made with the uniforms and equipment for 1958. There’s definitely a lot of original stuff mixed in. Still not sure about the smocks, I’m leaning towards fake, but again they did a good job. All in all you don’t see many Fallschirmjäger movies (the eagle has landed is the only other I can think of?) so it’s a fun watch.

Comment

Originally posted by eubank View Post
        Whatever tubi is it doesn’t play in Europe....sounds an interesting film, I’ve heard of it.....authentic helmets & uniforms too ? From the poster it appears not ....
        True, but fortunately you can find it on YT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNhTiMAJaro

I can see that they`ve put some original footage into that movie, e.g. from the evacuation of Monte Cassino treasures to Rome. There`s something funny at 1:13:50: on original archive footage LW officer clearly presents Deutscher Gruß but in the part from 1958 movie it is presented as military salute. I wonder why ? ;-)
        Last edited by kiler; 06-30-2020, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Helmets and Jump Smocks were rather bad fakes, but the movie is nice to see.

Comment

Thanks for sharing the YT link.

I never knew it was based on Rudolf Böhmler's book. Will have to watch this soon.
            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Thanks for the youtube link. Looks an ok film.
              The uniforms, smocks & helmets look passable for a film - certainly don't detract anyway.

The Carentan episode of Band of Brothers had really good replica helmets and smocks though of course ! The shape of the FJ helmets in that is so good i presume they must have molded them from an original shell...

Comment

superb.just seen,if you undestand German ,even better

Comment

Originally posted by HAF View Post
                  superb.just seen,if you undestand German ,even better
                  Just watched it as well. The ending was a little abrupt, but still a good way to spend 1.5 hours. Having been to Monte Cassino a couple of times it gave me a feel for the struggle and devastation.

Comment

Originally posted by eubank View Post
                    Thanks for the youtube link.
                    You`re welcome. ;-)

Another strange thing - it is shown that the monastery was finally seized by French(?) which is not accurate. However, in the last scene we can see the footage of Polish cemetery in Monte Cassino which cannot be mistaken with anything else thanks to huge Polish Virtuti Militari Order relief next to two Polish eagles at the entrance.

Comment

The film was partly shot in the film studios in Munich. The film set was looking for experienced background actors.
                      Since the Bundeswehr "Luftlande-Pionier-Kompanie 9" (Fallschirmjäger) was in Munich, they asked there. It was a big hello in the troop. In the film some of the people who had been in Monte Cassino played as Fallschirmjäger.

Comment

Originally posted by kiler View Post

You`re welcome. ;-)

Another strange thing - it is shown that the monastery was finally seized by French(?) which is not accurate. However, in the last scene we can see the footage of Polish cemetery in Monte Cassino which cannot be mistaken with anything else thanks to huge Polish Virtuti Militari Order relief next to two Polish eagles at the entrance.
                        I wasn't sure if the guys in the last scene were supposed to be French or Italian, but strange I agree.

I rewatched a few scenes on the youtube link to hear it in German which was nice. The tubi version is an American dub, a little weird to hear German soldiers using American slang

Comment

Originally posted by sfk20 View Post

I wasn't sure if the guys in the last scene were supposed to be French or Italian, but strange I agree.
                          I believe they were supposed to resemble French Goumiers who also fought at Gustaw Line, but in other area (Aurunci Mountains).

Comment

I know the Italian version well. The German version I see here contains some decidedly misleading and false added images. They inserted at the end of the French troops of the CEF that enter freeing the monastery of Montecassino. A decidedly absurd false historical act to take credit for the Polish troops. Ciao da Mauro

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X