Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fallschirmjager Helmet

Guys,

I would like to buy an original fallschirmjager helmet. This is a step for me and a little out of my territory on this. I have other helmets and this item would bring a new shine to my humble collection.

What I would like to know, where do I go to research? Where would I go to buy? What is a reasonable price (I know the range of quality but average for an average condition helmet)?

Is there anyone here with one they would consider selling?

Thanks for your patience with this...

Mark Mac

Originally posted by Mark Mac
    Guys,

I would like to buy an original fallschirmjager helmet. This is a step for me and a little out of my territory on this. I have other helmets and this item would bring a new shine to my humble collection.

What I would like to know, where do I go to research? Where would I go to buy? What is a reasonable price (I know the range of quality but average for an average condition helmet)?

Is there anyone here with one they would consider selling?

Thanks for your patience with this...

Mark Mac
    Mark Mac:

In terms of books for your research library regarding German Helmets, I would recommed that you get Ludwig Baer's "History of the German Helmet". In addition (and perhaps more importantly), I would use the great resources that this Forum has in terms of pictures and discussions regarding para helmets and the fakes out there. If you pay close attention to the previous threads discussing the originals and fakes, together with close analysis of the pictures of the orginal examples, I think you will take giant strides in your knowledge and ability to pick out original examples. Finally, when you believe you have candidates for your eventual purchase, I would post pictures in the Forum for review and comment (note that this is an important step that needs to be made before the actual purchase or at least within the inspection period).

In terms of "where" to buy, the answer depends on how long you are willing to wait and how much you are williing to pay. You could get a nice para helmet faster if you purchase it from one of the main dealers (make sure the dealer has a good reputation). Of course, this is invariably the more expensive route. If time is less of a concern, you may keep your eyes open in Ebay. Here, the prices MAY be less than a dealer's site, but it may take longer to run across one (and the risk of getting a fake increases, that is why it is important to confer with the Forum prior to the finalization of the sale). Finally, if time is even less of a concern, you may keep your eyes open here in the forum (on Estand). I know that a nice single decal para helmet was for sale on Estand not too long ago.

In terms of price, well, that varies on what type of para helmet you want. There are double decal camos/ double decals/ single decal camos/ single decals/ no decal camos/ no decals (and I am not even getting into the exotic early model shells); whether the helmet has early spanner bolts, mid war vented bolts or late war slotted bolts, etc. Anyway, I would estimate that an "average" single decal helmet (average decal: 75%; average 75% paint on shell; average liner and chinstraps), early spanner bolts, no camo, would probably run you nowadays around $3,500.

I hope this helps.

Walter
    Last edited by WalterB; 06-12-2005, 12:41 PM.
    When you go home
    Tell them for us and say
    For your tomorrow
    We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
    Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Fj lid hunting

Hi,

The most important thing to do is get any helmet authenticated by an impartial expert fellow collector before parting with any cash.

As for Ebay. I have yet to see a helmet that was not questionable. The only authentic ones I have seen on Ebay were photos which had been ripped from militaria websites by an ebay criminal who was trying to sell something he didn't have for 4000 dollars.

On Ebay it is important to ask for extra photos. If they give You excuses, well, You know....

There are a few online dealers currently with helmets on sale but with repro liners.

Comment

I thank you both very much for the response. Time is not a factor. I think waiting here is the best option as I seem to think that the vast majority of those I have seen and heard here are reliable, honest and dedicated dealers.

Would anyone like name a dealer they have purchased a helmet from?

Keep me in mind if you are willing to sell one!

Thanks
        Last edited by Mark Mac; 06-12-2005, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Munslow
          As for Ebay. I have yet to see a helmet that was not questionable. The only authentic ones I have seen on Ebay were photos which had been ripped from militaria websites by an ebay criminal who was trying to sell something he didn't have for 4000 dollars.

On Ebay it is important to ask for extra photos. If they give You excuses, well, You know....
          Mark Mac:

For Ebay, just a brief look in this site turned this for May. If you look regularly on Ebay, I would not be surprised if you found an authentic one every couple of months:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6533447831

As for online dealers, I will send you a PM (that is Private Message, check your Private Message Box).

Regards,
          When you go home
          Tell them for us and say
          For your tomorrow
          We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
          Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Ebay still yields some nice original untouched FJ helmets. Yes, there is alot of junk too. But, the nice original ones are going to bring good $$, as there are quite a few out there looking for them.
            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by WalterB
              Mark Mac:

For Ebay, just a brief look in this site turned this for May. If you look regularly on Ebay, I would not be surprised if you found an authentic one every couple of months:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6533447831

As for online dealers, I will send you a PM (that is Private Message, check your Private Message Box).

Regards,
              Here is a FJ helmet I found on EBAY.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...0&page=1&pp=15

Bryan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X