1943 Army Para Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1943 Army Para Badge

Can you Para badge experts help me? I aquired this badge in a collection I purchased this week, and it appears to be a correct but well-aged 1943 pattern example. Looking past the poor condition, can you all please give me your opinion on the piece. I notice it has what to my eye is the correct hinge-assembly, the bearded eagle, etc. I don't have my scale handy, but the badge feels on the light side.
    Attached Files

Also, please don't be shy if it's not good.
    Attached Files

Comment

Here are some close-ups.
      Attached Files

Comment

Another.
        Attached Files

Comment

Another one.
          Attached Files

Comment

One more pic.
            Attached Files

Comment

Here's the last pic. If it's real, would appreciate a value range for the item, as I don't usually buy pieces in this kind of shape. I'll be selling it in the e-stand, and will of course be price sensitive. However, if it's real, would appreciate the entire spectrum of values - from wholesale to gun-show to dealer-retail. Thanks in advance. If it's bad, it'll go into the mistake box
              Attached Files

Comment

Due to my limited knowledge of these rare birds (pun fully intended!), I hate to be the first to respond, but here goes:As a rule, these badges were rougher than what we're used to when dealing with most other TR period badges. The zinc is notoriously bad when it comes to reatining any finish and unless one was kept under ideal storage conditions for the past forty years, this is the state in which a lot of orginals are encountered.

The only thing I see that appears different from the few I have seen is the catch being made of flat - as opposed to round - wire. From the photos, the rivets, eagle's beard and the hinge look okay.

That's my two cents'...let's see what those who have handled more of them have to say!

Skip

Comment

Skip - thanks a bunch. I appreciate the input. Also, be advised that although the pin-catch does not from the photos appear to have that "round plate" discussed in the WAF articles, it's there - just covered by grime and yuchiness.

Comment

Any other comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Gottlieb
                      Any other comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
                      It has the tell tale beard under the eagle beak I like to see. Nice badge!

Comment

IMHO this is an original post re-instatement badge in feinzink (which were produced with both round and flat stock wire "C" form catches). Originals have die characteristics which are unmistakeable and have never been successfully reproduced.

Value is in the eye of the beholder, but for this badge my guess would be 1000-1200.

EQ

Comment

Thanks, all. I really appreciate the help. I had a good hunch that it was real, but I wanted to make sure before I offered it for sale. If anybody has any other input, I would greatly appreciate it. However, I greatly respect the input from you all, and thank you again. I'll most certainly offer it on the e-stand, and will probably take Eric's advice. Also, please forgive me if the post might have appeared "commercial" in nature - such was not my intent.

Comment

Thanks all. I guess I lucked out. I thought the badge might be original when I saw it, and I took the chance. Glad I did. Also, I got this text from someone whose knowledge about these badges I really respect:

You have a genuine 1943 Type 3 badge struck by C E Juncker in feinzink . . . The majority of zinc Army Para badges are not encountered in this shape. It’s pretty rough. Eric Queen’s estimate is fair for a dealer’s starting price . . . I bought one in pretty good shape recently for £1400. . . Hope this helps. If you need a hand with the write-up, feel free to . . . drop me a line.

I used the "dots" because the reviewer chose to remain anonymous, which I will respect.

Comment

From my own experience, the feinzinc variant is far harder to sell than the aluminium version.

I had one in far better condition than your example Craig, and if I remember rightly, sold it in the region of £800 - £850. It had a typically repaired catch and was not quick to sell.

Hope this helps.

Best,
                              Toby.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X