Some questions from an FJ-newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some questions from an FJ-newbie

I recently got my first FJ-grouping so I'm confronted with a lot of questions. One officer on the photos is identified as Obleut. Kerfin - anybody know anything more about this? The owner of the documents and such jumped at Krete and Holland and was also at Monte-Cassino later.
    Other than that, the place Stendal keeps appearing a lot. I guess this was some special training place for Fallis, like Breslau was for the Waffen-SS?
    One stamp on the Feldpostbriefe reads "Fliegerausbildungsregiment 23", would anyone know something more about this?

Some questions from

Olt. H. Kerfin = Zugführer 11/FJR1 10 may1940.
    On may 10th 1940, as part of Fall Gelb, 11/16IR(Luftlande) and a pioneergroup from 7th Flieger Div.(General Kurt Student) had to take the Willemsbrug (brug = bridge) in Rotterdam. They were dropped there with 12 Heinkel HE-59, took the bridge and some buildings around it.

Olt. Kerfin and his Zug of 11/FJR1 were parachuted into the Feyenoord Footballstadion, captured a electric tram and drove through Rotterdam to the Willemsbrug. He lost 14 death/wounded on his way during figthing nearby Afrikaanderplein.

Kerfin and his man reached part of 11/16RI on the north side of the bridge(called Boompjes). The Dutch counter-attacked, the German had heavy losses and got cut off their men at the other side of the bridge(Noordereiland). Surfering heavy losses parts of 9/16RI and a heavy MG group reached Kerfin. Then its was over. They got cut off surrounded by Dutch troops until the city of Rotterdam surrended. The Germans made a hero out of him telling he hold on with only 36 of his men. Forgetting to mention the brave men from 9 and 11/16RI who also held on. Well, that's politics.
    At one time, kerfin told the Dutch later, they almost surrended, having the white flag reaydy. That's when the Dutch Marines counter-attacked.

Oke next one. Stendal. That's where they were based and trained.

Cheers
    Last edited by Ypenburg; 08-02-2008, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Fliegerausbildung regiment

Translated:Flieger = Pilot, Ausbildung = training so you'll get
      Pilot-trainingregiment 23.

Some FJ's got pilottraining, f.e. the famous Olt. W. Koch in 1938.

cheers

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X