Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Show your FJ helmet display.

Hey there.

I was thinking about whether we should make a thread about how to store / display our FJ helmets. So others can get inspired to make display. What about helmet stands? Is it good for helmet liner?

Here's mine. Doesn't "showcase" the helmet per se, but puts it in context and runs no risk of damaging the liner (in my opinion at least).

vr

Bob
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Waffenreich View Post
      Here's mine. Doesn't "showcase" the helmet per se, but puts it in context and runs no risk of damaging the liner (in my opinion at least).

vr

Bob
      Top notch presentation Bob. Stunning.
      When you go home
      Tell them for us and say
      For your tomorrow
      We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
      Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Outstanding display. What is the relevance of the 93rd Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders TOS if I may ask? Just curious.

Comment

Thank you both Walter & Michael.

Michael - the T o'S represents the 1st Battalion "Princess Louise's" Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders that fought on Crete. My cap badge is difficult to photo because of the finish, but here is a WWI era badge that shows the detail courtesy of The National Army Museum: https://www.nam.ac.uk/explore/argyll...incess-louises

Best regards!

Bob
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by WalterB View Post
            Top notch presentation Bob. Stunning.
            Agree, one of the best presentation put it on manequien but what should we do in case if you have much more helmets than space ?

There was old thread somewhere here with very good examples of hand made stands , very decent and safe for liners, perhaps some member can find link..as for me I still put them to the shelves without any stands
            Looking for FJR2 combat pics in Russia.

Comment

Here is my helmet stand. Home made from bits of wood bought from the local hardware store.
              One refinement is the rotating platform to move the helmet around. Elevating it also lets you show off the harness, such a good looking part of the FJ helmets.
              Please note the helmet stand is real, unfortunately the helmet is not.
              Attached Files

Comment

Very nice Bob. Great looking display.
                Mine are just a couple at a time on show, in rotation, simply on a shelf, far from ideal but with little kids running amok around here it's the safest option anyway!

A query on FJ Helmets on mannequins generally, doesn't this over time damage the leather liner? Do you put some sort of padding between the mannequin head and the leather liner? If so what and how ?
                Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Sergey K. View Post
                  Agree, one of the best presentation put it on manequien but what should we do in case if you have much more helmets than space ?

There was old thread somewhere here with very good examples of hand made stands , very decent and safe for liners, perhaps some member can find link..as for me I still put them to the shelves without any stands
                  Hi Sergey,

This is a helmet stand for FJ helmets that I designed and built. It provides no pressure or contact to the liner and allows the chinstraps to hang down so they can also be displayed. Unfortunately, it does not solve the space issue!

Sorry for the poor pictures.
                  Attached Files
                  When you go home
                  Tell them for us and say
                  For your tomorrow
                  We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
                  Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Putting a FJ helmet on a mannequin is far better than a helmet stand which is not shaped like a head. A FJ helmet is heavy and a head distributes the weight more evenly. I am always cautious when using a stand to take photos, as unlike other helmets, the center seam on a FJ liner can split due to damaged, dry, and aging thread.

For decades I have just placed FJ helmets on a shelf, and never on a stand. And while I was always hesitant with mannequins, it is rather common in Europe to display them in that manner for long periods of time.

The best way to support a FJ helmet is by the rim. Walter has such a stand. I designed one in wood but never moved towards getting them made.

Edit: I see Walter just presented his stand while I was writing this post!
                    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Here is my helmet on a stand which I made myself. I designed this stand especially for the FJ helmet.
                      This stand also works for other helmets as well as caps.

Kr
                      Pascal
                      Attached Files

Comment

Walter

Nice display
                        I recognize a few of those helmets!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pascal H. View Post
                          Here is my helmet on a stand which I made myself. I designed this stand especially for the FJ helmet.
                          This stand also works for other helmets as well as caps.

Kr
                          Pascal
                          Looks nice Pascal! So the pads fit inside the shell and the liner assembly rests on them, without the center of the liner being impacted.
                          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Thanks for the comments gents and I agree with Willi in that even distribution of the weight will not damage the liner. Once the shell weight sets on the liner it "should" contact the center pad so no stress on the leather. On the particular helmet in the picture I do not use anything between the head and the leather as the head is smooth and the finish is sealed. I do take the helmet off every so often to check the liner.

The rest of the helmets and stands you all posted are great! Keep the pics coming please

Best regards!

Bob

Comment

Awesome displays and helmets gentlemen! A FJ is on my list.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X