m38 with heer decal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m38 with heer decal?

Saw this on an auction, but this can't be genuine right? An m38 with Heer Decal?
    Attached Files

Originals do exist but this decal has been discussed on a few forums already and most believe it to be post war applied.

Comment

I would never consider buying late war helmet with heer decal . While this could be possible ...
      Looking for FJR2 combat pics in Russia.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergey K. View Post
        I would never consider buying late war helmet with heer decal . While this could be possible ...
        Sound advice. And the same applies for me regarding M38s with SS decals. Either would need some solid provenance.
        Esse Quam Videri

Comment

I agree. It is just too risky, I think.

Comment

Hi,

And why not a late Brandenburg helmet

David

Comment

Were the decals added that late? Is that possible?

Comment

I have a nice photoalbum of a brandenburger member,there are photos of the FJ helmets with the army decal being worn ,the photos are from the Russia 1942 or 1943 .But I agree that without 100% provenance I would not buy such helmet.

Comment

Originally posted by Gustav 43 View Post
                  I have a nice photoalbum of a brandenburger member,there are photos of the FJ helmets with the army decal being worn ,the photos are from the Russia 1942 or 1943 .But I agree that without 100% provenance I would not buy such helmet.
                  Any chances to see these photos, Gustav ?

Comment

As a 13-year old living in Belgium (father was U.S. Army and we were stationed at SHAPE headquarters) when I grew my interest in military history and collecting militaria.

Each Sunday morning we'd visit the flea market in nearby Mons, where I'd spend my weekly allowance on vintage military items. This was 1973-1976 time frame.

I picked up several WW2 German helmets, as well as U.S., Frnnch and British.

However, one morning I held in my young hands the coveted FJ helmet. Had the liner and all the straps and buckles. I passed on it - because it had been painted pink and purple. I believe that somebody used it as a motorcycle helmet.

Nearly 45 years later this still haunts me ...

Comment

Without a couple of clear photos of the decal there is no way to give a positive opinion. I certainly don't see any lacquer over the decal, and from that angle you would likely see the lacquer if present.
                      Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

The shell is CKL. The factory had stopped adding LW decals by that time (presumably because of a higher directive ) so it seems odd that they should produce a helmet with an Heer decal.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Z. View Post
                          Without a couple of clear photos of the decal there is no way to give a positive opinion. I certainly don't see any lacquer over the decal, and from that angle you would likely see the lacquer if present.
                          Funny thing also is: this is the closest photo of the decal... And it is on a auction. Starting price: 16k haha!

Comment

Originally posted by Sergey K. View Post
                            Any chances to see these photos, Gustav ?
                            Yes,Sergey,here are the photos,they were published in Roly's book Vol.1.But not clearly enough on resized photos.
                            These are the brandenburger fallschirmjaeger during some operation in Russia either in 1942 or 1943.They put the heer decals on their helmets by their own ,most probably...
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Gustav, I've seen them.. nice pix too bad we don't know the area but based on bunker life in summer I'd say they should stay there for quite long time. Interesting to know more about this place.

I have one ground dug Heer FJ helmet recently found on positions of FJR1 , winter 42/43. Orel area.

Also similar helmet was dug up on late 41 Newa front but there were Pioneer troops there. More likely some vets of Heer para went to units having their helmets with Heer decals.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X