Bob Queen, Jump Smocks, Santa Rosa CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob Queen, Jump Smocks, Santa Rosa CA

Back in the 1980s I wrote to Bob Queen at the suggestion of a friend who gave me Bob's address. In the late 80s I was just beginning to learn and discern the variations in jump smock construction. Other than various camouflage patterns, little to nothing was written in reference books regarding jump smocks.

Having recently acquired a converted splinter step in smock from a kind lady in Colorado Springs, CO, I wanted to learn more about step in to button up conversions. I knew the smock that was being sent from Colorado was a splinter pattern, but had no idea it was a converted step in. One can imagine my elated surprise when I opened the package to see the smock had once been a step in which had been altered to a button up with added buttons and facing, flare pistol holster, bayonet keeper, and tails of Grünmeliert. The smock was dated 12/40 and manufactured by Schultz. At the time I had never seen a step in smock except in period photos and did not know that converted step in smocks existed. I was amazed and wanted to know more and could find nothing in reference books.

My friend told me about Bob Queen. Bob was a long time student and collector of Heer paratrooper uniforms, photos, and documents and my friend said that Bob could help. Bob could and did, we exchanged letters regarding smocks, some of which I still have in my files somewhere. And yes, Bob Queen is Eric's father, and obviously passed his passion on to his son. We lost Bob several years ago and he should be remembered as one the leaders and pioneers of our hobby, just as George Petersen and others.

Thank you Bob for your help and inspiration! Sorry I did not say this earlier, life has a way of passing too fast and leaving missed opportunities.

There is much more to be said regarding Bob Queen, perhaps Eric will share some of his memories with us.

As for Santa Rosa, CA and jump smocks, they are all related and there is more to come.
    Esse Quam Videri

Thank you John for the kind words regarding dad. I really appreciate it.

I thought it would be fun to post a couple photos of the first step in that dad ever bought (before I was born). He paid $35 for it and, at the time, was the first/only one he had ever heard of for sale.
    Attached Files

Comment

A very nice story, both about the smock and Eric's father.
      The pics of your dad 's collecting room and of the lovely camo para helmet , posted previously are great too Eric. What great collecting days they must have been, when you could purchase what you were interested in for the enjoyment of the pieces and to study them , without the sadly eye watering prices of today.

Comment

Love this type of thread. Eric, your Dad seemed like a great guy.

(Maybe I will talk about you like this one day , John !)

Comment

Around twenty years ago Ramsey (OSS) passed this smock on to me. At the time it was a lifelong dream come true; it still is!

Not sure if Ramsey told me at the time, but he acquired the smock from Eric. Photos that Eric contributed of the smock can be seen in Vol. 1 of Klaus Peters book on Rgt. 3 and Angolia and Schlichts Vol. 2 on the Luftwaffe. After acquiring the smock I do not think I spoke to Eric regarding it, I should have.

Of course this is only my opinion, but to me, this is one of the most awesome smocks I have ever seen. And believe me, I have seen a lot of jump smocks.

For a first smock Eric, that one is incredible. Back then, most collectors hunted for decades before finding a step in. I certainly did!

That would be nice Steve.
          Attached Files
          Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Killer mannequin John!
            Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

As good as it gets.

Jonnie,
              You continue to amaze the rest of us with your collection. Thanks for posting it.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Farrell View Post
                Jonnie,
                You continue to amaze the rest of us with your collection. Thanks for posting it.

Thanks Jeff and Robbie.

Hoping Eric may have more photos of his dad's collection. FI is some of the rarest of the rare, and I find that Bob Queen focused on FI way back when amazing.
                Esse Quam Videri

Comment

I had the pleasure of meeting Bob at the famous "Great Western" show in the late 1980s. He had a great eye for militaria with a focus on Fallschirmjager, and we had several transactions after that first meeting. I didn't meet Eric in person until his book signing at the SOS for the excellent "Red Signs the Sun" around twenty years ago. The step-in smock you mention that originated from the Queens is certainly spectacular and I am pleased that it ended up with someone who truly appreciates it.

Comment

I was probably 15/16 years old (can't remember exactly now) when I got a call from a somewhat obscure collector in Santa Rosa, CA. He said he had recently purchased some paratrooper items from a dealer in England but he was thinking about returning them as they weren't what he wanted. I asked if I wanted to take a look at the items before sending them back. Once he described the "training smock" I said sure. It was a 3 + hour drive to Santa Rosa from where we were living at the time but dad drove me down there. The collector said he would be more interested in obtaining a camp jump smock than the "training smock". I bought it ($2500) and a RZ20 parachute ($700) for the dealers asking price. Of course dad had to loan me most of the money. I remember the look on dads face once we got in the car and started home. Unfortunately, years later, I found myself married and still in school so I sold the smock to Ramsey to pay for life stuff.

Here is a photo of it I took when I got it.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Here are the photos which Eubank was referring to. I am grateful to have this helmet of dad's in my collection today. He got it in 1964.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I found some more old photos of his in a box recently. Doesn't look like much in today's terms but when you think this was from 58-60 years ago and a lot of this stuff had not come out of the woodwork yet.
                        Attached Files

Comment

But, I am most grateful to John who, knowing how much the smock meant to me, allowed me to have it back in July of 2018. Dad passed away one year later, almost to the day. Thanks again John, it means more to me that you can know.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by OSS View Post
                            The step-in smock you mention that originated from the Queens is certainly spectacular and I am pleased that it ended up with someone who truly appreciates it.
                            Over the years, many collectors requested I sell the smock to them, including a knowledgeable collector and friend from Osaka. I told Otani san that he would have to get to know my son, for he would be inheriting it. Certainly had planned to never let this one go.

About five years ago I had a photoshoot in the San Francisco area. My art director, videographer, and I drove to RDU in a snow storm and flew out to San Francisco where the weather was perfect. We shot for over a week, mostly up on Mt. Tam, but also in Golden State Park, and in Dogpatch. Having been to these places before not much scouting was necessary. But we also were to shoot in a town about an hour north of the city, Santa Rosa. We had never been there. At Santa Rosa we worked in Annadel Park, a very beautiful area. At the time I felt a strong attraction to Santa Rosa and Annadel but I had no idea that the smock had originally come from there. Learning this from Eric several years later gave the smock another personal touch and even more significance.

Here is a photo of Kyle riding in Annadel Park. Kyle is a videographer, and an ex Marine Scout Sniper, and a very good friend.
                            Attached Files
                            Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Very interesting collector stories gentlemen, thanks for sharing them.

Eric, where did your dad get "the bug" from ( and I note that his collection area/room has been set up with such pride, complete with plastic sheeting) ?

Interesting point of course that these items were probably very rarely seen, still in relatively young veterans trunks/attics i expect ? not a click away on a dealer website....a lot of luck then in coming across FJ items i guess...
                              Also, you mention the "look" on his face when you both got back in his car with the booty, was that at the horror of the cost- or (more likely?) that he was so pleased you were following in his interests/collector footsteps?

Regards

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X