Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grandfather's photos: 1. FJD Italy - help needed

Hello,

I hope you can help me to get some further information/ideas about our grandfather and his service in WW2.

His known units (WASt-information) were:

- Juli 1940: 2./FJ-Ers.-Btl. Stendal
    - Okt. 1940: Fallschirmschule III Braunschweig
    - 04.06.-14.07.41: 7.(Geschütz)/FJ-Ers.Btl. II
    - Aug. 1941: 3./Fallschirm-Art.Abt.
    - Jan. 1942: 3./Fallschirm-Art.-Rgt. 1
    - after that: FJ-Ers.-Btl. Stendal
    - März 1943: 3./Fallschirm-Art.-Rgt. 1
    - after that: FJ-Ers.-Btl. Stendal
    - Juli 1943: 3./Fallschirm-Art.-Rgt. 1
    - Jan. 1945: 7./Fallschirm-Art.-Rgt. 1

What we know fur sure is that he saw the combats of Fliegerdivision 7/1. Fallschirmjägerdivision in Russia (1941), Russia (1942/43 - wounded 20th march 1943) and Italy 1944/45 (until the end).

My questions:

1.) Because of his units I don't think that he served in Operation Merkur (Crete). What do you think?

2.) Photo no. 1: It shows him in a Knochensack (the man at the left). Is there any possibility to identify the location or the date or year of this photo? Could it show a day of jump training? Taken in Germany or France?

3.) Photo no. 2: He wrote only "südlich Rom" (south of Rome). I hope to identify this village/town.

4.) Photo no. 3: He wrote only "Mauleseltransport" (transport with mules). Was it usual that black guys (Who are they?) served for the german paras? I never heard about it. I think that this photo was taken in Italy? On the far reight I assume to see a Fallschirmjäger?

5.) Photo no. 4: It shows him (again at the left) with some comrades. It should be Itale, probably 1944 or France 1943? What do you think? Why the guy at the right does not wear any "Schulterklappen"?

6.) Photo no. 5: It shows him and comrades in Russia in nov. 1941: Are there any interesting Details of uniforms etc.?

If you find any other interesting details please let me know.

Thank you so much in advance!

Kind regards

muno
    Attached Files
    Last edited by muno11; 02-28-2020, 07:26 PM.

What's his name?
    WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

Hi Muno,

your grandfather was 42/43 in Russia Mittelabschnitt search for Knobloch Höhe, there was a famous battle of Fallschirmjägers in Russia. On 20.03.43 the Russians start a big attack against the positions of FJR4 – Knobloch Höhe. My greatuncle was killed on the counterattack from FJR3 at Knobloch Höhe.

You can read more about these place here http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=489544

Please share more infos from your grandfather with us.

Here some maps
      Attached Files
      Last edited by kurt1922; 03-01-2020, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Thank you for your answers.

Is there nobody with an idea concerning photos 3 (Location in Italy) and 4 (black guys/Mauseseltransport) outside?

Cheers
        muno

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X