Soldbuch U-660 K.I.A.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soldbuch U-660 K.I.A.

My only U-Boot Soldbuch, Obersteuermann Josef Krude (Note the mistake made by the italian Navy officer who attached the ausweis on page 1 calling him Johann).

Obersteuermann Krude was on board U-660 on all 3 of the patrols completed by the U Boot.

During the first Patrol (44 days) U-660 commanded by Oblt. Götz Baur(EK1 holder) managed to sink 2 allied ships and damage another 2 (See attached the map of the patrol) while going from Kiel to Brest. For that Krude got awarded the U-Boot Kriegsabzeichen and the EK2 during a Ceremonyin Brest held by Kapitänleutnant Lehmann-Willenbrock.
    2nd Patrol Lasted from 3.Oct.1942 from Brest arriving on the 15.Oct.1942 in La Spezia through the Strait of Gibraltar
    (It always reminds me of the scene of the movie Das Boot).No ships were sunk or damaged.

Period at La Spezia While at La Spezia, "U 660" was repainted a suitable camouflage for operations in the Mediterranean, consisting of a lighter shade of grey, with a diagonal white stripe on her conning-tower. The upper deck topedo-containers were also removed. Prisoners noticed 12 to 15 other U-Boats at La Spezia while they were there, among them "U 605" (Kapitänleutnant Schütze), "U 81" (Kapitänleutnant Fritz Guggenberger), "U 431" (Kapitänleutnant Dommes) and a boat commanded by Kapitänleutnant Wilhelm Franken. About half of these had left by the time "U 660" had sailed. One of the Petty Officers was sent overland to Brest to collect "U 660's" ship's company's gear, it being expected that she would stay for some while at La Spezia. The unexpected receipt of sailing orders, however, resulted in his being left behind. Another man had to be embarked to replace him. "U 660's" men were unfavorably impressed by their reception from the Italians, whom they described as unfriendly. They thought the rations provided were good, but were not satisfied with their quarters and this gave rise to considerable ill-feeling.

On the 3rd and last patrol where they left from La Spezia in Italy on 24 Oct 1942, they were meant to sail to Messina and be back by th 7.december.1942 but after 2 days they got an order to sail towards Algiers where they attacked a convoy then returned to Algiers on the 10.Nov.1942. On the 12 Nov 1942 after 20 days they surrendered to HMS Starwort and sunk the U-660 before being captured. 2Sailors were Killed ,shot, while swimming from U-660 to HMS Starwort while surrendering...

Krude and the rest of his comrades were sent to Canada on a ship on 16.2.1943 but Krude died drowning trying to escape!!

A Full and Detailed report of U-660 History can be read here, If you have a few minutes , I would, it s very interesting!!

http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-660A/U-660INT.htm
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

which one of the last photo is him i wonder?not the first on the left anyway
      Attached Files

Comment

A very nice document with a true story behind! Obviously i love the paper attached to the cover

Comment

Thanks John, the story of the U 660 from the interview in the link is very cool i find

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X