Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soldbuch Oberleutnant Infanterie Regiment 274

Dear Forum members,

Currently, I am trying to research the soldbuch for an Oberleutnant und Kompanie Chef that, after some action in France and Russia with the Infanterie Regiment 274 (94 Infanterie Division), was seriously injured in the knee and ended as a Kompanie Chef of the Grenadier Ersatz Bataillon 32.

As I did not have too much time to research it, I will post a brief description:

He was wounded during the frontal attack of his regiment on the Somme river in Voyennes on June 6th, 1940. He was awarded the Verwundetenabzeichen in Schwarz and EKII following this early wound and rejoined his unit while it was occupying the area of Toul in France, late 1940. He was promoted to Leutnant and fought with his regiment on the southern sector of the Eastern Front. After a second (minor) wound in July 1941, Weinhold's third wound sustained on 14th of February 1942 was a lot more serious (Shot through the knee joint). He was, on the other hand, lucky to be taken out before the final destruction of the 94.ID during the battle for Stalingrad. He spent a lot of time in hospital and finally assumed command of a Kompanie of the Grenadier-Ersatz-Bataillon 32.

During his career, he earned the following awards:

EK II and WBiB during the battle of France (Entry signed by the Oberleutnant
    und Kompanie Chef Karl Sohr winner of the DKiG with the Infanterie Regiment
    274).

The RAD Dienstauszeichnung IV. Klasse for his prewar service as a RAD officer,
    the Czech annexation medal, the EKI, and then the Verwundetenabzeichen in
    Gold and theVersehrtensportabzeichen following his last wound.

The soldbuch also came with its matching dog tag (issued by the 12 M.G. Kompanie of the Infanterie Regiment 274) and its career details written by the Oberleutnant.

However, a few questions arised when I was researching the Soldbuch.

1. After being wounded in 1941, he was transferred to the Infanterie Ersatz Bataillon 185 (replacement unit for the Infanterie Regiment 274) and later to an unknown unit JAKO IV. However, I could not find any information related with this unit. The only information I have is that he served in the 3 Kompanie of the JAKO IV in 1942 (Russia) and he was wounded while serving there.

2. In the hospitalization page, after being released from the hospital in 26.08.1944 he was attached to the Wehrler Kommando 4, but I cannot find any information related to this unit.

As a side note, he had a Walther 7.65, a MAB Pistole 6.35 as well as a MP40, compass, binoculars and flashlight.

I hope you like it as much as I do and any opinion or help is more than welcome.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Josep
    Attached Files

The medals he was awarded and the brief resume that the Oberleutnant wrote.
    Attached Files

Comment

And the entries for the units that I cannot find.

About the JAKO IV I could only find that the Oberleutnant was attached to the unit in January-February of 1942 and they were deployed in Russia.

Regarding the Wehrler Kommando 4 I cannot find anything.

I would really appreciate any help regarding these units. I would also like to thank Angel Farré for all its help.

Best regards and thank you very much.

Josep
      Attached Files

Comment

Jako IV is Jagdkommando 4, later renamed Jagd Bataillon 4 in Russia.

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...ommando4-R.htm

26.8.1944 he was released from hospital to Wehrkr(eis) Kommando 4.

His last unit was Infanterie/Grenadier Ersatz Bataillon 102 in Chemnitz which was in Wehrkreis IV.
        Last edited by Ian Jewison; 08-08-2019, 02:39 PM.
        Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Dear Ian,

Thank you very much for your help. You made my day, I really appreciate that.

It really makes sense as he was also attached to the Infanterie Ersatz Bataillon 102 (Chemnitz), therefore, the mistery is solved.

Thank you very much again and best regards.

Josep

Comment

You are welcome....I did not see you had replied as I edited my post with the 102 and WK IV connection.

/Ian

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Thank you very much Ian, I really appreciate that.

It makes a lot of sense that after being seriously wounded, he served in the Infanterie Ersatz Bataillon 102 (Chemnitz) as he lived in Marbach, Döbeln. And after the convalescence period, he was transferred to the Grenadier Ersatz Bataillon 32 where he was the Kompanie Chef. Do not know if he saw further service but it seems he was captured by the russians as there is an entry, in what seems to be russian, with the date of 3rd of March 1949.

Even if I am able to speak some russian, I cannot decipher the writing.

Now I will have to try to find information about the JagdKommando IV to see where he was wounded.

I would like to thank you again for your help.

Best regards,

Josep
              Attached Files

Comment

Hello !

Before I could make some suggestions, it had already been answered by Ian !

What I would be still interested :
                I never have seen that kind of designation "Jako IV" for any of those Jagd-Kommandos.
                I would have expected something like Jgd.-Kdo. 4.
                - Was Jako used early on for this type of units ?
                - And also a roman type of number ?

Anyway, this is a very interesting and special type of unit ! Only 14 of this type were ever raised,
                and several of them later were incorporated into 1. Ski-Jg.-Brig./Div. !

Thanks for showing and best regards,

Archi

Comment

Hello Archi,

Before posting the Soldbuch I thought the same and, at least to me, it would have also expected to be something like Jagd. Kommando rather than JAKO (It does not look logic). However, it seems that they used this kind of designations or at least, they wrote this designation in this soldbuch.

Regading the other questions, I do not really know if they used roman numbers in other Jagdkommandos as this is the first one I encountered.

Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate your knowledge and help.

Best regards,

Josep

Comment

He could have been in combat again as Grenadier Ersatz Bataillon 32 was mobilised in April 1945.

Comment

Dear Ian,

Thank you very much for your help. This afternoon I have even found the combat experience of a young soldier (17) serving with the Grenadier Ersatz Bataillon 32 when it was mobilized and deployed in the Czech Republic and Germany.

https://erlangenwladimir.wordpress.c...zbataillon-32/

I will post some parts of the experience (sorry for the translation as it is from google):

On February 20, 1945, the entire unit was closed to the military, i. Grenadier Reserve Battalion 32, taken to Teplitz-Schönau. At the station in Komotau, our train had a short stay, and we used that, my comrade Franz Peer from Wotsch and I, with our suitcases in the train on the siding, which went in the direction of Karlovy Vary (ie towards home). This was a Thursday, where we took this train in the direction of home. We had agreed that we wanted to go to the unit to Teplitz-Schönau on Saturday. We have postponed this "arrival day" by mutual agreement to the following Monday, although our call was on Thursday.

As agreed, we went on Monday to Teplitz-Schönau, have again goulash and dumplings eaten before we went to the barracks. Before the gate we had to hide first, because the company was marching with the song "On the heath flowers a little Blümelein" in the direction of parade ground. Arriving at the gate, the guard had to call the sergeant major. He asked where we come from now. We said that we wanted to eat at home again. The sergeant scolded: "Young and stupid!", Because we had committed desertion and should have been shot dead.

There were no more boots for us in the closet, so we were temporarily assigned to potato peeling in the kitchen. After a few days the full drill began for us. On April 18, 1945, the company was set in the direction of the eastern front in march. During a marching break in Löbau on 20 April (Hitler's birthday) there was a cookware lid full of rum as a gift. The next day the march continued in the direction of Görlitz. But this place was already occupied by the Red Army, so we went in the direction of Herrnhut in a forest in position. In this section, the front was already two days.

At night, I had postal service and asked a person who was approaching to call me slogan or I would shoot. This person asked me, "Do not you know me?" In the semi-darkness, I recognized wide red stripes on my pants, and I answered, "No, sir," because I guessed that these stripes indicated a higher rank. He asked, "How old are you?" My answer: "16 years, Mr. General." To which he replied, "Such a mess!" And left. That same night our unit was withdrawn from this position. It later turned out that Field Marshal Ferdinand Schörner, the commander of the Eastern Front, had faced me during the night. Our unit was loaded again in wagons and should still come to Dresden-Klotzsche to an SS unit. But thankfully the Russians were already in Dresden before us. The company commander forwarded the train in the direction of Selva and left it on the open road just before the village. He gave the order "Marscherleichterung", that is: weapons stay on the train and everyone should try to make their own way west through to the Americans.

Just a shame there is no name for the company commander, it would be nice to be the Oberleutnant Weinhold

However, I do not really know if he saw combat as he was seriously injured and according the description of the seller, he had its leg amputated but I cannot find if was amputated or just injured ( I will have to check it).

Thank you very much again for all your help and efforts.

Best regards

Josep
                      Last edited by barkhorn1; 08-08-2019, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X