Cache of 100 unissued tags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cache of 100 unissued tags

Here's an interesting find made this week. A cache of almost 100 sequentially numbered tags to the same unit, 1 Kp. Geb.Pi.Btl.91, 6 Geb.Div. Starting from 51 and going up to 148.
    My assumption is that the first 50 were issued and these are the remaining tags dumped after the war.
    Attached Files
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

find

That is a most interesting find. Were they in a trash pit or boxed or? The unissued EK cache must be nearby...

Comment

Hello !

Very interesting find !
      It would be very interesting to check, which date is the highest number in personal docs (SB / WP)
      from 1. Geb.Pi-Btl. 91, where the EKM is not from a replacement unit, but issued from the unit itself.
      Have you tried to check that (I assume you have some of those docs) ? That could be very interesting !

Thanks for showing and best regards,

Archi

Comment

Very interesting find.

JL

Comment

Originally posted by pauke View Post
          That is a most interesting find. Were they in a trash pit or boxed or? The unissued EK cache must be nearby...
          They were held together with wire. In the photo above i laid them out sequentially, numbers 145 and 146 are missing. they were found right under the surface and there was evidence of post-war military exercises in the same spot. Perhaps found by a soldier in the 50s or 60s, took a couple of tags as souvenirs and threw the rest.

Of all the tags, only 1 is in aluminium, the die stamps used vary as well, suggesting more than one person making them. It's interesting that this particular unit at least decided to make spare tags in advance and not just when required.
          Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Archi View Post
            Hello !

Very interesting find !
            It would be very interesting to check, which date is the highest number in personal docs (SB / WP)
            from 1. Geb.Pi-Btl. 91, where the EKM is not from a replacement unit, but issued from the unit itself.
            Have you tried to check that (I assume you have some of those docs) ? That could be very interesting !

Thanks for showing and best regards,

Archi
            Strangely enough, although i have a lot in my collection to the 6 GD, nothing to the pionier btl. but i will of course keep my eyes open

Comment

Does the aluminum one have a random number mixed in between the zinc ones? Also, could you post some examples of variations of the die stamps?
              I guess these were made for soldiers who lost the ID tags issued to them during training.

JL

Comment

The unit lettering and numbering all seem to be the same but the serial numbers are in two different styles, one being the same size as the units numbering, the other larger.

The aluminum tag is in number sequence with the others
                Attached Files

Comment

This illustrates nicely that the material the tag is made of really doesnt tell you much. I had always assumed, stupidly I guess, that there were batches of 50 or 100 tags of one material used, then another batch made with a different material.
                  But if there were a few spares of different material ID tags lying around, it only makes sence they could have ended up being mixed up with others.

JL

Comment

Gebirgs-Pionier-Bataillon 91 (Aufgestellt am 1. Juni 1940)
                    Yeah, this unit established after 1. September 1939...

So, The Geb. Pi. Btl. 91 Members would have Old tags.
                    -> The members came from another unit...

and the starting number is 51, it is not a high number but these were unissued...

Interested..

Comment

interesting find that occurs from time to time usually on German escapes routes. Nice

Comment

Very interesting find...many compliments!

Comment

Nice! Jim

Comment

Nice hoard find Simon!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X