Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Badge identification

Dear forum members,

A couple of months ago I bought this soldbuch of a professional soldier who served from, at least, 1937 to 1945, through different pionier units, and ended as an Oberschirrmeister in the Pz.Pionier Ersatz Bataillon 19 after being seriously injured (he lose the right eye and suffered from curvature and stiffness of the right index finger and scarring of the right hand).

However, I could not identify, even with the help of Angel Farré, the badge he is wearing in the photo. It may be a party or an organization badge? Any help would be really appreciated.

He was awarded the following medals but none of them matches with the badge shown in the photo:

Westwall Medal

Medal for 4 years of service

Assault boat badge

War merit cross 2nd class with swords

Wound Badge in Silver

War merit cross 1st class with swords

Thank you very much for your time. I will try to post the grouping later and the research done

Best regards,

Josep
    Attached Files

At first glance if recalls me a police award.... He don't look very young, perhaps a policeman in the 30ies ? Could you tell us his birthdate ?

Comment

Thank you very much for your answer.

He was born the 4th of January of 1914 (Marienhafe). I do not really know if it could be a police badge. Before joining the Wehrmacht, he worked as a locksmith.

As the soldbuch was opened in August 1939, I would tend to think that this is a prewar badge. At first I thought about being a NSKK badge, considering that he served as a Oberschirrmeister in a Panzer Pionier unit, but I am not able to find anything similar.

If any other page is needed, I will upload the photos.

Again, thank you very much for your help and your knowledge.
      Attached Files

Comment

Looks to be made of 2 piece contstruction with a silvered wreath and what possibly looks like the top of a winged dark toned national eagle in the middle.

Comment

I think it's the Reichssportabzeichen - the angle, blurriness, shadows, and it being cut-off by the photo frame distorts its appearance.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by naxos; 06-22-2019, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Naxos, good point. I thought the same thing when I first looked at it, but from the OP's pic the center insignia looks like the wings of a national eagle with the top nub of it's head showing. Agree though, camera lighting and angle can alter things. Here is another. One can imagine all types of things with these DRL badges...Panzerkampfabzeichen der Legion Condor?...I wish...not! It's just another DRL badge.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Edward; 06-22-2019, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Dear Naxos and Edward, thank you very much for your time and opinion. I really appreciate that.

As Edward pointed, at first I also thought it could be a 2 piece contstruction with a silvered wreath and a national eagle in the middle. However I couldn't find anything similar or didn't make any sense.

But, I think Naxos is right and it is just because the angles and shadows of the photo. A DRL would make more sense than any other opinion. It looks very similar to the photo you posted, so it seems that the mistery is solved.

By the way, nice photos.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Josep

Comment

A good scann might be more helpfull than those blurry of the angle fotos...

Comment

Sure, I will provide some scans when I arrive at home. The problem is that the photo itself is blurry but with the scans it may be more easy.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Josep

Comment

Some scans as requested. I hope this will help.

Thank you very much for your time and your knowledge.

Best regards and thank you,

Josep
                    Attached Files

Comment

Naxos is correct, IMO.
                      Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Thank you very much for your opinion,

To me, it also looks like a DRL Badge, but at first I thought that it was some kind of eagle. I suppose it is because of the angle of the photo, or maybe my eyes wanted to see something else

Again, thank you very much for your time and knowledge.

Best regards,

Josep

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X