MedalsMilitary

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soldbuch - What pages to keep, what to throw away?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soldbuch - What pages to keep, what to throw away?

Not sure when this actually started but it was seen in Deutsches Afrika Korps Soldbücher where soldiers were told to remove unit pages prior to capture. In some cases the units and Feldpost numbers obliterated.

In 1944 are Merkblatt was printed instructing you to tear out pages 4 and 17 from your Soldbuch prior to capture.

"Seite 4 und 17 des Soldbuches herausreissen!"

Also the order to remove Feldpost number from Soldbuch (Sept. 1944?)

There are known cases of the awards page being removed, especially in Russia, as the more awards you had, the more of a murderer you were!!!

In this case, Herr Mieloszyk chose to keep pages that showed vaccinations, pay details and awards.

Entries on page 18 show he was entitled to Kriegsbesoldung (War pay - for those Soldiers that conscripted/volunteered after the outbreak of war. Prior to this you received Friedensgebührnisse - peacetime pay). This entry is crossed out and Friedensgebührnisse is actually written at the bottom of the page.
    The first entry is authorsied by the Staffelkapitän of Seenptstaffel 5, Oberleutnant Westphal.

Underneath that is an entry for Kapitulantenhandgeld (re-engagement bounty) for RM 300,-. This indicates that he has signed up for a further x number of years in the Luftwaffe. Probably 4 years to 12 years.
    This entry is authorsed by the Staffelkapitän of Seenptstaffel 50, Hauptmann Rudolf Neuber.

Mieloszyk appears to have received four awards:

15.3.1943 Gold Chord for Technical Personnel
    30.5.1943 Operational Flying Clasp for Reconnaissance in Bronze

Both awards authorised by Oberleutnant u. Staffelkapitän Körner. Although Technical Officer with Seenotstaffel 5, he was Staka of Seenstafel 10 at the time.

21.9.1943 Iron Cross 2nd Class
    1.9.1944 Unqualified Air Gunners Badge (without lightning bolts with black wreath)

Both awards authorised by Hauptmann u. Staffelkapitän Rudolf Neuber of Seenptstaffel 10. (also former Technical Officer with Seenoststaffel 5)

FP Nr. 49538 – Seenot-Staffel der Luftwaffe 10, 24.11.1944 Seenot-Staffel der Luftwaffe 50 (actually renamed Seenotstaffel 50 on 19.8.1944)

Herr Neuber's Soldbuch can be found here on Jeremy's site: http://aufhimmelzuhause.com/id216.htm

Lastly Herr Mieloszyk's Ausweis with photo. Simple typed example on card. This was also referred to as the Fliegendespersonal Ausweis (Flying Personnel ID Card) or Tarn Ausweis (Camouflaged ID card) as it contained minimal details for identification.

/Ian
    Attached Files
    Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Heer Herr Schiller appears to have got it the wrong way round and he kept the unit page and threw the rest away!!!

He served with Pz-Sp(äh) Kompanie, Panzer-Aufklärungs-Ersatz-Abteilung 7 in München, then transferred to Italy with Pz-Späh Komp., Panzer-Ausbildungs-Abteilung-Süd (In action July 1944 near Bologne, March 1945 in Udine).

He then transferred to Panzer Aufklärungs Abteilung “Oberbeck” which was later number 192 when it was attached to Panzer-Grenadier-Brigade 92.

He kept his driving license which has a nice uniform photo!!!
    Attached Files
    Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

another really interesting theme (for me) all to discover ...
      I knew about the order about the feldpost numbers cancellation, but I thought that tearing the pages of the soldbuch (especially those with compromising prizes) was a personal initiative of the soldiers to avoid " problems " especially with the Russians or with the partisans....

Oriano

Comment

An interesting area to research. With exception of the Merkblatt Ian mentions, I do not remember seeing any references to this subject (removing pages) in the printed regulations.
        Jeff

Comment

The Order to make the FpNr. unreadable in the SB's was followed up systematicaly in some Units and not at all in many others.

The instructions consisting in keeping only few pages even scarcer applied. What was made - as far as I know especially on the western front - was replacing the SB's by kind of Ausweis mentioning only the informations a soldier had to give if captured according to the convention of Genova.

Before being captured, many soldiers kept the decoration page of their ID. Was it to avoid being considered as a "super-nazi" for those who had many awards or for other reasons, I have not enough elements to answer this. I met once a german cross in Gold bearer (see thereafter) who kept only this page just because, as he told me, he was proud about it.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hello !

Interesting information and examples posted in this thread .
            Very detailed research on every detail of the very few "left overs" from the SB of Gefr. Mieloszyk .

Do the regulations on cancelling FP numbers say, why it was done ? I never understood the idea behind that.
            (perhaps it makes only sense in connection with tearing out pages 4 and 17 ?!)

Best regards,

Archi

Comment

This is an example from my collection. He got clear instructions what to when capture was imminent.
              Attached Files

Comment

Interesting thread, thanks guys.

Comment

This Königsberg fighter of Grenadier-Rgt 43 and Sicherungs-Bataillon 667, kept only his award and close combat pages when he took one of the last evacuation ships from Pillau to Denmark in April/May 1945.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by naxos; 05-30-2019, 10:42 PM.

Comment

CC Day lists -
                    Attached Files

Comment

In Denmark he was issued a Soldbuch excerpt (Soldbuchauszug) stamped by 551. Volks-Grenadier-Division.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by naxos; 05-30-2019, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X