Need Help with Dog Tag Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help with Dog Tag Unit

I am trying to get as much info as I can on this dog tag. I think it is a reserve or replacement Veterinary training division? Can someone tell me the actual unit/division, location, etc? Would it be possible to identify the soldier based on the number? Would records still exist? I have seen the "How to decode a dog tag" pages online with the abbreviations, but I'm not sure if there is other info that can be deduced?

Thanks,

Jim

actual

Hello Jim,
    At the moment I haven't access to my HD with WW2 data.
    This dog-tag (Erkennungsmarke) was handed out to a draftee that entered service
    in the (like you already found out) veterinary training and replacement Bn 3 (not division as Abt. is the same for Batl.)
    This guy recieved his training in the 2nd Coy and recieved EKM Nr 591. Where he went after training can not be determined without Soldbuch or Wehrpass.
    The dogtag shows no sign of wear what often can be seen on the innerside of the 2 holes; what doesn't mean much as many were carried in pouches.
    I'm not sure without my books and files what the location of the unit was.
    Peter

Comment

He started his military veterinary career in Berlin-Spandau or Fürstenwalde.

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...Gliederung.htm

Gerdan

Comment

Hello
        As Gerdan explained this unit was until 9.9.1941 in Spandau and after that date in Fürstenwalde.
        Your man entered for sure in Fürstenwalde and not before 1943 because the units name changed in 1943 to "Vet.Ers.u.Ausb.Abt.3", before 1943 there would have been the unit marking "Vet. Ers. Abt. 3" on the EKM.
        Cheers
        Peter

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X