early AK soldbuch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

early AK soldbuch

any info on the trooper this paybook belonged to would be appreciated! i love the tropical kit list added to the european kit list pages.
    Attached Files

ak2
    Attached Files

Comment

ak3
      Attached Files

Comment

ak4
        Attached Files

Comment

ak5
          Attached Files

Comment

Karl Fuchs, farm hand (Landarbeiter), Catholic
            Appears to have a scar on left side of forehead (distinguishing marks)
            Looks like his first stay in a Lazarett was for tonsilitis
            Second stay also appears to be something to do with his mouth

best
            Hank
            Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
            ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

thanks hank :^)

Comment

His second stay in the hospital was also caused by "Mandelentzündung" - tonsilitis

Gerdan

Comment

little action barr hospital stays. i guess afrika didnt agree with him. did this guy get to afrika, come to think of it, were the illnesses sustained in tropics service? why so little data? captured perhaps?

Comment

Current value £ ?

Comment

Originally posted by corporalSteiner View Post
                      little action barr hospital stays. i guess afrika didnt agree with him. did this guy get to afrika, come to think of it, were the illnesses sustained in tropics service? why so little data? captured perhaps?
                      Has it got the entry date for touch down on Afrika soil ?

Often the Soldbuchs with few entries from Afrika are ones captured by Allied soldiers when a Paymasters facilities were over run. The Soldbuch were with the unit Paymaster or admin awaiting up-date of entries. The Germans always seemed to be behind in this task or struggling to have sufficient resources to get this done while actually in Afrika itself. Some Soldbuch captured as late as Tunisia 1943, were not up to date and awaiting entries.

A classic example was when 2NZEF over-ran 3AA one morning in November 1941. You can find all sorts of items from 3AA out here including Soldbuch lacking data and even the units rubber stamps,

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 90th Light View Post
                        Has it got the entry date for touch down on Afrika soil ?

Often the Soldbuchs with few entries from Afrika are ones captured by Allied soldiers when a Paymasters facilities were over run. The Soldbuch were with the unit Paymaster or admin awaiting up-date of entries. The Germans always seemed to be behind in this task or struggling to have sufficient resources to get this done while actually in Afrika itself. Some Soldbuch captured as late as Tunisia 1943, were not up to date and awaiting entries.

A classic example was when 2NZEF over-ran 3AA one morning in November 1941. You can find all sorts of items from 3AA out here including Soldbuch lacking data and even the units rubber stamps,

Chris
                        chris hello
                        thank you for your very interesting post. i will double check, but to my knowledge no afrika touch down notes included. the full list of afrika kit for me is the most interesting part here. added on, and full of olive green...a sleeping bag too. what on earth did the DAK sleeping bag look like?

Comment

Originally posted by corporalSteiner View Post
                          chris hello
                          thank you for your very interesting post. i will double check, but to my knowledge no afrika touch down notes included. the full list of afrika kit for me is the most interesting part here. added on, and full of olive green...a sleeping bag too. what on earth did the DAK sleeping bag look like?
                          I can see he is in J.R.155 on page 4. His tropical equipment was issued May 1941 while still in J.R.268 and on page 18 in July 1941 he has been put on the special rate of pay for Afrika which would appear to be for being part of "Division z.b.V. Africa". However, what is puzzling is the entry was made by the Paymaster in J.R.268 ?

Is that entry on page 18 a touch down on Afrika soil and the beginning of his pay for being in that challenged climate ?

I have a Soldbuch from when 3AA were ambushed November 1941 that has no Afrika entries whatsoever. It is to a 19 year old motorcyclist who was just about to turn 20. Obviously, he had arrived in Afrika and the Paymaster had his Soldbuch at the time of the Ambush to update with information like the touch down date in Afrika.

What is the very last date you can find in your Soldbuch ? We could then perhaps work out when Brtish troops might have got their hands on it and what unit admins that they over-run at that time. On the other hand the German soldier might just have got it back and he was killed/ captured in 1941,

Chris
                          Last edited by 90th Light; 06-11-2016, 07:55 PM.

Comment

This gets even more puzzling,

J.R.268 was part of the 113 Infantry Division in the Balkans in 1941. However, III/168 was sent to Afrika in May 1942 and became III/155 on 21 September 1942. The rest of J.R.168 went back to the Russian front and was lost at Stalingrad. It was reformed 21 March 1943.

So if III/168 did not go to Afrika until May 1942, what exactly is the entry on page 18 all about ?

Was this soldier part of a vanguard in July 1941 ?

Very interesting but again was he captured/ killed by British troops hence no further entries ?

Chris

Comment

May be the dates/ year I found in post 14 are wrong.

I just translated this version from German which appears to be more accurate and explains this Soldbuch;

* 15.12.1940 (12th wave) in Grafenwöhr from the staff of Fortress Infantry Regiment B,
                              Military District XII, with I. and II. Battalion, III. re of two companies of the two
                              Sister regiments (formerly II./106 and II./102 the 15th and 24th Infantry Division); 01/18/1941
                              Exchange of I. with II./Infanterie-Regiment 260 (formerly III./88, peace Fulda, Wehrkreis
                              IX); the III. Battalion went in May to Africa and became 21.9.1941 III./Schützen-Regiment
                              155; replaced in 1942 by a 9th Company, then a new III. Battalion; Grenadier Regiment
                              268 since 10.15.1942; January 1943 destroyed at Stalingrad. Reconstitution of 21/03/1943 in France,

Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X