WöschlerOrden

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soldbuch of soldier from the 480th Division who was a Russian POW.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soldbuch of soldier from the 480th Division who was a Russian POW.

Just showing off and wondering if anyone can give me more info on the man and where he has been.

http://m.imgur.com/9gSKrUd,r7mI106,z...JODGvz,lsGhdMY

This Soldbuch was issued to Walter Krause on the 1st of March 1943 by Landesschützen-Ersatz-Bataillon 3 in Strausberg, Germany.
    This was a replacements unit for secundairy troops. Mostly old men. Walter was promoted to Gefreiter in August 1944.
    At some time (page 4, no dates mentioned), Walter was with Standort-Kompanie Truppenübungsplatz Jüterbog (the stationary unit at the Jüterborg military training area).
    I don't know what his job was. Walter was medically examined twice in 1943 and deemed fit for duty (page 14).
    Later in early 1944 (don't know the exact date) Walter was put in 1st company of Sicherungs-Bataillon 812. This security unit was used in Croatia to secure the railways.

On 10-10-1944 Walter was hospitalized in Reserve-Lazarett Obermedlingen with code 25: "Skin and connective tissue problems".
    He stayed there till 6 February 1945 when he was moved to Reserve-Lazarett Krumbad. Here his sickness was noted as code 30: "Muscle and joint disorders".
    He stayed in this Lazarett till 15 March 1945 when he was released. It was noted that Walter was only partly fit for duty.

Walter was send to Grenadier-Ersatz-Bataillon 480 based in Czech. This infantry replacements unit was mobilized in late March 1945.
    On the 8th of May 1945 the Bataillon-Doctor of this unit typed an order that Walter unfit for battle or marching and was released from this replacements unit.
    Walter had to make his way back to Germany on his own. Due to the Russian capture paper we know that Walter was captured by the Russians.
    Walter was released on 22 July 1945 and send to Berlin. There are no medals written down in the Soldbuch.
    I'm collecting anything related to the towns Castricum and Bakkum during WWII.
    Also soldbucher from 116pzdiv. And 1944-1945 eastfront pockets, kampfgruppe and Oder front.
    My website: Gotrick.nl

Comment

Thank you so much Rick! Just going to write that down on some paper and put a copy in the back of the soldbuch.

Comment

No problem.
        But Grenadier-Ersatz-Bataillon 480 was not part of the 480 Division as your thread title suggests. Grenadier-Ersatz-Bataillon 480 was part of "Division Nr. 193".
        This was a replacement/training Division. Not combat. But in March 1945 this Division was send to the front under Heeresgruppe Mitte (eastfront) as last resort to halt the Russians.
        No idea if Walter went with them to the front and/or saw any action in 1945.
        I'm collecting anything related to the towns Castricum and Bakkum during WWII.
        Also soldbucher from 116pzdiv. And 1944-1945 eastfront pockets, kampfgruppe and Oder front.
        My website: Gotrick.nl

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X