Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Soldbuch

Hello,

I am new member, but have been collecting for about five years now. I mainly deal with badges and headgear and know nothing about Soldbuchs/Wherpasses. I bought this at a yard sale because it looked ok to me. I read some German and have figured out the basic stuff (Name, Job, Date of Birth, etc). I've read some of the treads and it seems that there are issues with reproductions of complete Soldbuchs, so I omitted pages that I understand. I have included the pages that I don't fully understand. I want to know if there is any significance beyond the basic information. For instance, I can read the units, but I don't know anything beyond that. Can anyone provide any additional information on those units....etc. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Nathan

Here are two pictures. One has his units on it, some are marked out, does that mean that was his former unit and transferred? There is one that has "Afrika" in its name, was that a unit that served in North Africa? Any information on the units is appreciated. Oops...accidently posted it twice, sorry.
    Attached Files

Comment

These pages seem to be the equipment he was issued...I think. Page 8 has an entry on it, what is it for?
      Attached Files

Comment

These pages deal with sickness and entry into hospitals on four separate occasions, right?
        Attached Files

Comment

I have no idea what these entries mean...
          Attached Files

Comment

I think this is release from the various hospitals...
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ErwinRommel1940 View Post
              Here are two pictures. One has his units on it, some are marked out, does that mean that was his former unit and transferred? There is one that has "Afrika" in its name, was that a unit that served in North Africa? Any information on the units is appreciated. Oops...accidently posted it twice, sorry.
              The man looks entered in the army too late to be sent to Africa. Probably he was assigned to a march batallion to be deployed in Africa, but since the camaign had been lost meanwhile, he was reassigned to the Pz Gren Regt 129, that saw service in Italy with the 15. Pz. Gren Division.

Comment

These pages seem to be the equipment he was issued...I think. Page 8 has an entry on it, what is it for?
                Eiserne Portion, the equivalent of the US Army K-ration.
                The others are the regular weapons and equipment assignments, like the K98, the gas mask, and so on.

Comment

These pages deal with sickness and entry into hospitals on four separate occasions, right?
                  One page contains the vaccination entries for many diseases.

The double page tells us that the soldier was hospitalised in late octobr 1943, probably for a war wound suffered in southern Italy. The four entries are for the same wound, just the man was transfered to 4 different hospitals. This was rather usual. If you see the entries, the release from the first hospital match with the acceptance to the second one and so on. In some case the match will not perfect at 100%, as the transportation from one place to another required some days. In all, the soldier remained hospitalised for about three months.

Comment

I have no idea what these entries mean...
                    The first page shows the payment class of the soldier. I can see that his last rank was Gefreiter.

The other page shows a security check. At a given date, the unit the soldier was in entered a confirmation that the soldier was actually assigned to it.

Comment

I think this is release from the various hospitals...
                      These are payments made in the hospitals (so outside the unit he belonged to). On the right side there are entries regarding the Fuehrer Paket, a box full of food products given (just once)to every soldier who deserved it and that came back home on licence. He got it on 31.1.44, the assignment was entered so he couldn't receive it once again.

If you are interested to know more, I would like to suggest you Antonio Scapini's book about Soldbucher and Wehrpasse

Comment

I would suggest a German-English dictionary, plus there are other books out there besides Scapini's
                        Jeff

Comment

Antonio's book is well made and easy to use for identifications, specially for beginners. I don't know about other books. What are the titles?

Comment

Well , Jeff has a nice set of books on the subject.

You can find them on his website, Jungco.

Comment

I didn't know them, I 'll have a look, thanks

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X