Gielsmilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soldbuch 352 Infanterie Division Normandy POW at Niederfeulen in Battle of the Bulge!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soldbuch 352 Infanterie Division Normandy POW at Niederfeulen in Battle of the Bulge!

Hello all,

Finally found some time to research and show this soldbuch with a personal touch to you. It's my 4th 352 Infanterie Division soldbuch, this time I am not sure if he was in Normandy but he was in the Ardennes and was taken POW in the last days in 1944 during the Battle of the Bulge at a farm in Niederfeulen(Luxembourg). The farm he was taken POW was called "anwesen Well" or Kalkfabrik, sadly I was not able to found it till now so if someone could help me I would really appreciate that! The information comes directly from the veteran of the 914 Grenadier Regiment as his story was published on the internet!!

Here we go:

Gustav Erb was born on 7 November 1926 in Fulda. He lived there with his father, mother and sister. He was drafted into the army on 8 March 1944. His first unit was the 8. Schiffs-Stamm-Abteilung in Besancon in France. When he left his home that day and kissed his family goodbye he didn't know he would never see his mother and sister again as they died in an Allied air raid on Fulda. In May he left this unit, it is unclear to me in what unit he was then. In his own story he told he was send in Mai 1944 to the Grenadier Regiment 914 of the 352 Infanterie Division, based in Normandy at that time under command of Oberstleutnant Ernst Heyna. The I./ GR. 914 was stationed from the edge of Vierville-sur-Mer to Grandcamp-Maisy near Omaha Beach. The I./ Gren. Rgt. 914 was send in the afternoon to counterattack the famous Rangers at Pointe-du-Hoc. His soldbuch told he me he was transferred on 22.09.1944 from the Kriegsmarine to the Heer. Maybe the entry was not made earlier because short after his arrival the division was 2 months in combat. Or he only made a mistake in his story and really joined the division in September 1944. However he was in the battle of the Bulge for sure and this is what he told about the battles:

“After I was drafted in the Wehrmacht I was first send to the Kriegsmarine. But after a short time the parts of the units were disbanded and the soldiers were send to other units. After this I was send in May 1944 to the 914 Grenadier-Regiment of the 352 Infanterie Division. In November 1944 we were send to the Westwall. We were told our division would be part of an offensive.

On 16 December the offensive started, the Battle of the Bulge started. After a heavy artillery attack we crossed the river Our and attacked a hill that was heavily defended by the Americans. This battle was very hard and I believe both sides suffered heavy losses. In the following days we took Diekrich and later Ettelbrück.

The 352 Inf. Div. under command of Generalmajor Schmidt had around the 13.000 men. They had to attack on 16 December 1944 around 05.30 in the morning after the artillery fire. They had to cross the river Our between Roth and Wallendorf. After heavy fights south of Bettendorf-Hoesdorf, they captured Diekirch on 20 December and Ettelbrück on 21 December 1944. The 914 Grenadier Regiment had to fights it's way further crossing Feulen and Mertzig in the direction of Bettborn.

It was short before Christmas when we arrived at Ettelbrück. We spend the night with 12 men in a cellar on the market in the centre of Ettelbrück. I can remember the best that there was a storage of wine in the cellar. The next day we continued our advance by a higher road, equal to this road was a lower road. On this lower road, we could observe very well, were many American military vehicles.

We reached an isolated farm( in Niederfeulen). We searched the farm for Americans but we didn’t found any American. In the farm we found a woman who was sitting at a table. She gave us something to drink. Across this farm was an empty house and a barn. There we spend the night. The next morning we heard engines and vehicles on the road next to the barn. An Unteroffizier want to go outside to see what happened, but I took his arm and pulled him back, but he pushed me back and walked to the street. He was shot down immediately with a machinegun from an American jeep. We took him to the farm where we searched Americans the previous day. In the cellar he was treated by a Sanitäter. I don’t know if he survived.

In the farm we met a man and his son. It was clear to us we couldn’t escape and we decided to surrender. We asked the inhabitants of the farm a white flag and fix it to a stoke/stave. After a short time a American vehicle drove on the yard . An Unteroffizier showed the white flag and walked to the Americans. We throw all our weapons and papers away and put our hands up. We were taken prisoner of war by the Americans and transported by a vehicle to a prisoner of war camp near Stenay.

Later I was transported to a camp in the area of Cherbourg and 3 weeks later to Reims. I worked nearly a year in a Lazarett. On a day a group was formed in the camp and they were send back to Luxemburg. I was one of the 200 men send to the camp in Moutfort. In this camp we were divided into small labour groups. First I worked in a sawmill in Roodt/Syr and later in a building company in Luxemburg – Pfaffenthal.
    Later the camp was visited by some farmers and businessmen from the environment who need some manpower. On this way I worked for 18 months on a farm in Luxemburg. The family offered me a contract to stay at the farm but I declined the offer. I heard my mother and my sister died by an Allied air raid at Fulda. When I heard my father was still living in Fulda I decided to go back to my father in Germany.”

That's it for now, hope you all enjoyed reading his personal story. Comments are welcome!

Aram
    Attached Files

Gustav in his Kriegsmarine tunic in 1944 and Gustav in 2006 visiting the Patton museum in Luxemburg with his family. He visited the area in 2006 and 2007.
    Attached Files

Comment

Some pictures with entries made in the Grenadier Regiment 914 ; 352 Volksgrenadier Division , signed by the Leutnant and Bataillon Adjudant.
      Attached Files

Comment

The entry he was transferred from the Kriegsmarine to the Heer.

Also a map with some important places Gustav was during the Battle of the Bulge.
        Attached Files

Comment

Very interesting Aram,

I have a Soldbuch also to a Kriegsmarine member who was transferred to the Army on the same day, however according to my notes the entry was made one day later, 30.9.1944. at Munster Lager.

From that entry alone I can not see him being with the Army prior to that date.

I will dig it out over the weekend.....my example later served with 915 also and I have letters from him with a few details. He was already an EK I holder whilst serving with 2 Minensuchflottille M10.

/Ian
          Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Thanks for your reply Ian, I am looking forward to see your opinion!

Comment

Nice Soldbuch Aram and great to have his personal story.

Comment

Hi Aram,

Here is mine.......I used to correspond with the Soldbuch holder and he sent me a few photos and a leave pass......the leave pass confirmed a FP Nr. that I could not identify. It was an honour to correspond with him but unfortunately his letters stopped some 10 years ago.

On page 23 you can see FP Nr. M 29830 - 2 Minensuch Flottille, M10 and FP Nr. M 24905 - 2 Minensuch Flottille Kommando. 27.9.1944 there are no further entries on this page but his units carry on after transfer to the Army on page 20/21.

Top of page 20 there is a security check from 12 Marineersatzabteilung dated 22.9.1944. Underneath that the order transferring him to the Army on the same day 22.9.1944 dated one day after yours 30.9.1944 and signed by the same Oberstleutnant.....not verified who that is yet.
                Opposite page with Grenaider Regiment 914 and 915. Both Regiments were destroyed March 1945 but only 915 was reformed.

Prior to the entry transferring him to the Army he was of course in the Kriegsmarine which would match yours....so that is one reason why it seems odd that yours fought in Normandy as he should have been in a replacement unit?

It has been a good exercise looking at this Soldbuch again as I have identified two DKiG holders signatures.....one who later became a U-Boat Commander but was unfortunately killed in 1943.
                Attached Files

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

An Army clothing insert on page 10 shows he received clothing from Landesschützen-Bataillon 659 which was based in Munsterlager. 9.11.1944 from 13 Kp. Gren Rgt. 914

Also two photo of him....one from 1943 and the other from prisoner of war captivity in France. No idea of the date but the last entry in Soldbuch is 8.2.1945 for special leave from 13/G.R.914.....of course prior to him serving with 15/G.R. 915.

There is a postwar entry as Unterfeldwebel (Wehrsoldgruppe 13, his KM rank of Obermaschinistmaat) for pay.

/Ian
                  Attached Files

Comment

As these Soldbuchs attest, many replacements for the losses suffered by the Heer in '44 came from the KM:
                    Attached Files

Comment

Ian, thanks for your help and showing some pictures of your interesting Soldbuch. Sadly for me we are sure now Gustav wasn't in Normandy but it is still an interesting story.

Comment

Soldbuch

Hi, I am new here and I am wondering if anyone has the Soldbuch of my father Gottfried Lintzer in his/her collection. He was Oberleutnant in the Feldersatzbattaillon 12/44, Grenadierregiment 914, 352. Volksgrenadierdivision. He became a POW on 28 March 1945 near Wachenheim. That's the official date. I suspect though, he surrendered a few days earlier as that town was taken by elements of the 10th Armored Division on 20 or 21 March. He ended up in CCPWE 25 Voves in France and was possibly transferred to CCPWE 19 Foucarville before his release in September. I would be very grateful if anyone could help with this document or any other documentation relating to my father. I don't need originals, scans would do nicely.

Geoff

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X