X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice indeed

Comment

Hi David and all !

I agree, that this is a very interesting Soldbuch of a soldier with many interesting twist and turns in his career !

1.) I agree with Gerdan in his deciphering of line 5), some additions :
      a) I think it reads Sta.-Sturmmann, and I would like to know what the Sta. shortcut is standing for ?!
      b) I think K.M.Z. is correct and it stands for Krad-Melder-Zug

2.) Here is a tentatively overview of his career :
      It seems he entered the SS in the week he became 17 years old (SB, p. 2) !
      After his basic traing, he was transferred to different units of the 14. SS-Totenkopf-Standarte :
      http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...enkopf14-R.htm
      His last unit there was probably a Kradschützen-Erkundungs-Zug or Krad-Melder-Zug (Feldpost-Nr. 32539).
      (Entry 4 and 5, page 3, and page 4). According to Tessin, this Standarte was dissolved in mid 1941.

After that, he was transferred (when exactly ?!) to SS-Inf.Rgt.(mot) 9, 16. or 18. Kp. (see SB, page 4), part of SS-Div. "Nord" :
      http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...SS/6GebDSS.htm
      This is somehow confirmed by the entries on page 20, (e.g.: payment by a bank in Taivalkoski in Dec. 1941
      and FPN 42925, corresponding to Fla-MG-Halbzug SS-Inf.-Rgt 9 ...).

His next units in 1942 were :
      - 3.Kp./Instandsetzungs-Abteilung SS-Geb. Div. Nord,
      - 15. "Stabs-Kp." SS-Geb.Rgt. 6 "RH", (this entry must have been made after 4.6.42) and then he returned to
      - 3.Kp./Inst.-Abt. 6 (SS-Geb. Div. Nord). [FPN 47832].

He remained most probably with SS-Geb-Div.Nord at least until mid 1943 (hospital entries on p. 12/13),
      and possibly until end 1943 (see entry p.15, Kraftfahrpark SS-Geb.Div. "Nord").

At some point later, before April 1944 (page 3), this unit was probably used to form 3. Kp./SS-Pz.-Inst.-Abt. 17 (FPN 41722),
      of 17. SS-Pz.Gren-Div. "GvB" (same Kp.-Führer, same Kr.St.Roll.Nr.).

After April 1944, he was temporarily transferred to SS-Pz.Jäg.Abt. 17 (but it's not clear to me when) and then back again to
      SS-Pz.-Inst.-Abteilung 17.

Hope this gives some additional hints .

Cheers,

Archi

Comment

HELLO

Thank you very much Archi and Gerdan and has all other members for your help

and comments

know you of which typify of machine (tank or other one)was team the ss-pz.-inst.-abt.17 ?

thank you

Comment

If I read correctly his first rank on first page, I would say that "Sta" means Staffel. Did Staffel Sturmann exists ?
          But I cannot read the word in brackets (entre parenthèses).

Comment

My guess is he was a vehicle mechanic as he spent most of his time with vehicle repair units
            Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Hi all !

Here is some more information to the still open questions :
              a)
              If I read correctly his first rank on first page, I would say that "Sta" means Staffel. Did Staffel Sturmann exists ?
              But I cannot read the word in brackets (entre parenthèses).
              This is what I thought too : Staffel-Anwärter => Staffel-Sturmmann
              But I am also not sure, whether this existed.

b) Which type of vehicles the soldbuch owner had to deal with ?
              Although his unit was designated SS-Panzer-Instandsetzungs-Abteilung 17, this was the general repair unit
              for all of the divisions vehicles and wepons. It consisted of a staff, 2 workshop companies (1.- 2.) for vehicles (all types),
              and 1 weapons repair company (3. co.). Here is an example, (but there were many variations) of such a workshop company :
              http://www.wwiidaybyday.com/kstn/kstn10521nov41.htm

The Panzer-Abteilung had a workshop platoon of its own.

c) Which kind of tanks or PzJg. was the Panzer-Abteilung and the Pzjg.Abt. equipped with ?
              The Panzer Abteilung had 42 StuG IV at D-Day and had still operating 37 of those on 1.7.44.
              The Pz.Jg. Abt. was never fully equipped and had 12 Marder III on 1.6.44 and had still left 10 of those on 1.7.44.

You can find many more details on the armored vehicles of GvB in this thread :
              http://www.feldgrau.net/forum/viewto...133890#p133890
              http://www.feldgrau.net/forum/viewto...134180#p134180

It seems however, the data situation on PzJg. IV is not that clear ...

Hope that helps a bit nevertheless.

Cheers,

Archi

Comment

HELLO

Thank you has Archi and has everybody for your help on this soldbuch

thank you
                David

Comment

Hello

has all I have just noticed that I possessed the same signature on my soldbuch ss flak of North (the second signature) and that of the GVB

Apparently he was untersturmfuhrer has North in December, 1943 and then obersturmfuhrer in April, 44 has the gvb (line 7 and 8)

I read "lomeles"

Have you an idea thank you

Comment

It's SS Ostuf. Theo Landes of 1 Kp, Instandsetzungs Abt. 17 "GvB", formerly of TFK (Technischer Führer für das Kraftfahrwesen), Divisions Nachschubführer 6 "Nord".

/Ian
                    Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

ok

thank you very much ian

david

Comment

Moin,
                        I read the singnature from
                        SS-Ostuf.Paul Engber Flak Abtl.
                        SS-Hstuf. Martin Braune Pak.Abtl.
                        Gruß Charly

Comment

Wow that's a impressive Soldbuch!

Thanks for sharing! Sorry I cant help on the interpretations!

Eva

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X