No announcement yet.

Solbuch Gebirgsjager 100 GJR died in Gemmano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the Campaigns of Friedrich with his 100 GJR ... Leningrad-Ladoga Line, SudItalien...... (and Gothic Line: Gemmano)
    Attached Files

Comment

Friedrich is seriously injured in Gemmano by artillery or mortar shot on 7th September 1944 and transported to the rear (probably to Forli) where he dies on 14 September 1944....
      Attached Files

Comment

September 7th there is a great British attack to take Gemmano.
        Thare hard fights at the gates of the village, with great losses on both sides .... but uselessly, the 100 GJR resist: the Gebirgsjager will retire only the 15th of September just because the Allies has been broken the front towards Coriano
        Attached Files

Comment

two interesting photos from the Bundesarchiv, cataloged "Rimini" ... probably takes in August 1944,south of Pesaro .... interesting the PPSH41, rare on the Italian front Italian ....... a Russia "souvenir"?
          Attached Files

Comment

Friedrich is buried on Futa Pass Cemetery

Nachname: Schrutka
            Vorname: Friedrich
            Dienstgrad: Obergefreiter
            Geburtsdatum: 13.09.1922
            Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 14.09.1944

Friedrich Schrutka ruht auf der Kriegsgräberstätte in Futa-Pass.
            Endgrablage: Block 34 Grab 182
            Attached Files

Comment

the inscriptions on his grave are invaded by the moss ... I tried to clean up with a pocket knife but it is still very difficult to read .... I have to come back with a solvent....
              Attached Files

Comment

Great research (as usual) Oriano, and great document

Comment

Originally posted by Ironcrown View Post
                  Great research (as usual) Oriano, and great document
                  many thanks my friend!
                  ciao Oriano

Comment

Very noce indeed! Gemmano is a quite intresting battle... and the GJR-100 resistance was incredible!

Comment

Originally posted by Pie View Post
                      Very noce indeed! Gemmano is a quite intresting battle... and the GJR-100 resistance was incredible!

ciao Oriano

Comment

Originally posted by Pie View Post
                        They resisted, but the regiment was almost completely wiped out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironcrown View Post
                          They resisted, but the regiment was almost completely wiped out.

On 4500 men of the 100 GJR, the Regiment loses in Gemmano 900 dead and 1500 wounded and missing!!!

on 3, September, 1944, the Canadians breached the Green Line and the 100th GJR, temporarily placed under command of the 71st Infantry Division, was ordered to hold a sector of the front on Gemmano ridge. From the 4th through the 14th of September the 100th GJR bitterly contested every inch of ground and every building.

The key points of Gemmano of the 100 GJR, Borgo, Monte Gardo, and Zoccara were gained and lost numerous times by each side with the Gebirgsjäger fighting against 3 different Commonwealth Divisions: the 46th British Infantry Div, the 56th British Infantry Division and the 4th Indian Division, supported by armored squadrons of the 8th Royal Tank Regiment. Under heavy downpours, enduring grave causalities, and intense artillery, including naval gunfire from the Adriatic, the 100th held firm until ordered to pull back to Montescudo on the 15th.

On 11 September a broadcast from German radio announced: “In the hard defensive fighting on the Adriatic, in the sector of Gemmano, the 100th Gebirgsjäger Regiment, under the orders of Lieutenant Colonel (Oberstleutnant) Ernst together with an artillery group at his orders, with its indestructible firmness and gallant counterattacks has behaved particularly well” .
                          General of Mountain Infantry (General der Gebirgtrüppen) Ringel told his old comrades how proud he was of them: “You know me, my comrades and I know you! We never wasted too many words; I know that you have remained the same old friends. Let come what may……..I salute all of you with our battle cry: Hurrah, die Gams! “

Oberstleutnant Ernst later wrote of this battle; “How much blood this unhappy pile of ruins has drunk!....we fought for every house, for every ruin. And as Cassino was the tomb of the 1st Fallschirmjäger Div, so was Gemmano the tomb of my Regiment”

The 100th GJR won an incredible 5 Knight’s Crosses for this heroic action, the recipients’ being:

Oberstleutnant Richard Ernst – Commander 100 GJR,
                          Hauptmann Helmut Hermann -Commander I. Battalion,
                          Hauptmann Fritz Bachmaier - Commander III. Battalion
                          Oberfähnrich Rappel - 14th Company
                          Gefreiter Schmeid - 8th Company

Depleted and exhausted from their hard fought battles on the Gothic line the 5th Gebirgs Division was placed in reserve of the Ligurian Army and ordered to the Western Alps

(notice from one of the most beautiful research and collections of documents on the Gemmano battle : The Cassino of the Adriatic/Gemmano: La Cassino dell'Adriatico, of Amedeo Montemaggi , introduction by John Strawson)
                          Last edited by mufasa; 12-11-2017, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Your thorough research makes for very interesting reading. You should be commended for bringing the details and terrible sacrifices of this epic battle to our attention.

Comment

Amazing!
                              Well researched and presented
                              Many thanks for sharing and for remembering a young lost soldier

Comment

Originally posted by FestungSpanien View Post
                                Amazing!
                                Well researched and presented
                                Many thanks for sharing and for remembering a young lost soldier
                                many thanks FestungSpanien !!!
                                ciao Oriano

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 10 users online. 0 members and 10 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X