Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FJ grouping KIA Holland 1944

Hello all

I would like to show you a recent purchase.
    This soldier was in different Flak units (For exemple Flakscheinwerfer-Abt. with Flakscheinwerfergruppe Berlin) and after join FJ units in summer 44.
    He was killed in action in Luyksgestel on 13rd Sept.44 when Fallschirm-Jäger-Regiment von Hoffmann (with KG Walther ?) was fought against british troops near Belgium border.

Ah, I think I recognise this....I went for it also but someone had beaten me to it

You have researched his units?

http://www.ww2.dk/ground/flak/abt/sw148.html

Walter Zimmermann rests in the War Cemetetry in Ysselsteyn.
    Grave location: Block AA Row 6 Grave 140

Nachname: Zimmermann
    Vorname: Walter
    Dienstgrad: Feldwebel
    Geburtsdatum: 23.03.1915
    Geburtsort: Hamm
    Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 13.09.1944
    Todes-/Vermisstenort: Luyksgestel

/Ian
    Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Interesting entries!

e.g. Night of 26/27 November 1943: Berlin, the main target, was attacked by 443 Lancasters and 7 Mosquitos. Most of the damage in Berlin was in the semi-industrial suburb of Reinickendorf. Stuttgart was a diversion, attacked by 84 aircraft. The total sorties for the night was 666 with 34 aircraft (5.1%) lost.
      Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Very nice group Ezekiel Congrats

He was killed just around my corner. I have several sb/wp from Kampfgruppe Walther. I got one WP from 14 kompanie regiment von Hoffmann aswell. Contact me with pm if you need additional info

Best regards

Erwin

Comment

Here is a scan of my wehrpass.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hello Ian

Yes, a few research have been made about is career in the differents flak units (essentially defending Berlin).

Thanks for details of bombing activity.

Leutnant Hanbuch (I./FJR von Hoffman) was KIA the same day but i don't have any details about this journey. Was FJR von Hoffmann was already part of KG Walther on 13rd Sept. ?

An other entry in the soldbuch, perhaps Oberleutnant Schulz (2./FJR von Hoffmann).

Comment

Lt Hanbuch was KIA because an artillery shell hit his foxhole directly. Commander of the third company was Oberleutnant Kalweit

regards

Erwin

Comment

what an interesting info about destroyed planes... and what sad end for the soldier

Comment

Interesting group, indeed.
                  Fj. Regt. von Hoffmann was the first name of FJR 18, formed during sommer 44 with various Lw personals, most of them without field experience. Oberst von Hoffmann, also Kdr of FJR 9 after Normandy and during Ardennen Offensiv was still living in the 90's. His regiment fought heavily southern of Eindhoven, after 18. 09. In october, the remains of the regt. were assemblied in "Kampfgruppe Kerutt", Kdr. of I./FJR 18, who was then subordinnated to Kpfgr. Walther.
                  If your man has been killed on 13. sept., it was probably during air attack because his unit wasn't yet in combat.

Comment

This is a drawning from Major Erich Walther, commander from Kampfgruppe Walther

best regards

Erwin
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by EZEKIEL View Post
                      Hello all

I would like to show you a recent purchase.
                      This soldier was in different Flak units (For exemple Flakscheinwerfer-Abt. with Flakscheinwerfergruppe Berlin) and after join FJ units in summer 44.
                      He was killed in action in Luyksgestel on 13rd Sept.44 when Fallschirm-Jäger-Regiment von Hoffmann (with KG Walther ?) was fought against british troops near Belgium border.

VERY nice grouping you have there!!

I really like the entries for the allied aircraft kills... Very nice indeed! Congrats on scoring this one

Rob

Comment

Eze,

That is a nice grouping you show us here.

That list with aircrafts kills is a big extra bonus to that Soldbuch, and such lists are rarely seen glued into it.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Comment

Hello Sebastien

Here are some pictures from his grave on Ijsselsteyn Friedhof where Walter Zimmermann rest today in grave 140, row 6, block AA

regards

Erwin
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hello Erwin

Thanks to have put the photo of his grave in the post

Comment

Glad you appreciate it. We were photographing graves from about 75 kia soldiers we're researching last week at the Ijsselsteyn cemetry and i made some extra for some friends. I also have photograped Oberlt. Kalweit's grave. He was an officer from fallschirm jager regiment 18. Walter Zimmermans rest between his fellow comrades in the same row.

regards

Erwin

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X