CCC in Gold Soldbuch 90.Pz.Gren.Div.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CCC in Gold Soldbuch 90.Pz.Gren.Div.

Guys, I picked up this Nahkampfspange in Gold Soldbuch and am very curious to hear your opinions.

The Soldbuch is a Zweitschrift issue from November 1943. Originally born in Hungaria, Johann Kutrowatz already served in the Wehrmacht before the war; he earned the Erinnerungsmedaille a.d. 1.10.1938 mit Spange. Serving with Panzer-Regiment 4 (see his Erkennungsmarke: St./Pz.R.4 #163) of the 2. Panzer-Division, he earned the PAB in February 1941 (probably a late issue for the May 1940 campaign), and the EKII on the Eastern Front in September 1941. He also earned the Ostmedaille, and the Verwundetenabzeichen, as he was wounded twice, in September 1941 and in July 1942. After his last wound, he probably shifted to another unit. In September 1943, he catched malaria. After his recovery in November, he received his new Soldbuch and was sent to the (Schnelle) Panzerjäger-Abteilung 190 of the 90. Panzergrenadier-Division in Italy. There, he was wounded again in the area of Rimini during September 1944 by shrapnel in the head. While he was in hospital, he was awarded the EKI, the Verwundetenabzeichen im Silber for his third wound, and the Nahkampfspange in Gold. These three awards all seem to be dated 12th of December 1944.

Kutrowatz is not mentioned in the lists of known CCCiG recipients, and the award entry is a tough one to judge as it is not stamped or signed, still I think it is an original. First, the award date matches the date of the large award ceremony organized in the Rathaussaal in Ulm, during which Heinrich Himmler awarded the CCCiG to 83 men – the highest number of CCCiG ever awarded on a single day. It seems logical that Kutrowatz could not make it to this award ceremony, as he was still in an Italian hospital. Would this be the reason why he is not included in today’s lists? Second, the handwriting of the Nahkampfspange matches that of his promotion entries to Unteroffizier and Feldwebel. Both promotions look OK to me and are signed on page 3 by the Leutnant and Kompanie-Führer of his active unit, just before and just after he was wounded. Unfortunately the unit entry on page 3 is hard to read. Can anyone make it out? Any comments on this Soldbuch are highly appreciated!
    Attached Files

Very nice portrait photo in black Panzer wrapper, and the 1944 promotion entries.
    Attached Files

Comment

His units.
      Attached Files

Comment

Tim,

You might want to check this thread out http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ight=Kutrowatz

/Ian
        Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Equipment. Machine pistol issued on July 5th, 1944. This was when he rejoined his fighting unit after an illness.
          Attached Files

Comment

For a good evaluation of the Soldbuch I will add photos of all pages with entries, also the less interesting ones, like this vaccination page.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hospital entries.
              Attached Files

Comment

Sold entries. Payments in Italian lira.
                Attached Files

Comment

Award entries. On the right, a very nice extra page that he was to return immediately to his active unit after his Sonderurlaub in July 1944. No officer was allowed to give him any orders that would slow down his return to the front.
                  Attached Files

Comment

His leaves.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Ian, yes, I had seen it before. We can't really consider the comments in that thread as they were based on only two photos. Here's some last detail photos, with a comparison of the promotion and award entries.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Tim that is a very nice Soldbuch. I particularly like the custom made Soldbuch cover. It appears to be of some military canvas type material.

On the CCC award further reasearch would definitely have to be made. It is not an near end-of-war award where such mentions did fall through the administrative cracks. Given on 12 Dez. 1944 some mention should have been made of him in a Tagesbehfehl at some level of command.

Comment

a very interesting Soldbuch and a very interesting discussion!!!

can only help that he was not injured in Rimini the september 7th, 1944, because the 90th Pz.Gren.Div. was still towards the French border. The vanguards of 90 Pz.Gren.Div. (Kamppgruppe Stollbrok composed from III/361 (Major. Heinrich Wiese) e I/200 (Hapt. Alfred Bottler) and 2 and 3 Komp of Panzerjäger-Abteilung 190 (Leut. Wilhelm Albrecht) they come to Rimini across the river Marecchia the night of September 19th, 1944 (Againt the Sherman of the Queens Bays in Montecieco)....

Comment

Hi Tim

I dont know im not convinced by any of those entries made with the same handwriting/colour

Comment

Personally I do not like the entries....the promotions are not on the pay pages, which in itself doesn't mean it is wrong but I do not like the style of writing.

/Ian
                              Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X