Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sniper Soldbuch - 42. Jäger-Division, anti-partisan operations

Hello guys,

Thought I would share with you this Soldbuch with a great sniper entry to Gefreiter Josef Richter, who earned four awards and was wounded during anti-partisan operations in Croatia and Italy.

The Soldbuch was started in October 1942, when Richter was with the Reserve-Grenadier-Bataillon II/135. His Bataillon was sent to Zagreb, Croatia, one month later, and in December 1943 used to create the Jäger-Regiment 25 of the 42. Jäger-Division, still in Croatia. With this regiment, he immediately saw his first combats in Yugoslavia and received the silver Infanterie-Sturmabzeichen in March 1944. The Croatian bronze medal for bravery followed early June 1944. In May 1944, his unit was moved from Croatia to the Ligurian coast in Italy. Jäger-Regiment 25 was positioned between Alassio and Varazze. From June to September 1944, the 42. Jäger-Division was only involved in anti-partisan operations. In July 1944, the division was moved a bit eastward, to the area of Genova. Around this time, mid July, Richter was wounded by shrapnell in the left foot. He received the Verwundetenabzeichen im Schwartz and the EKII for his Italian wound and anti-partisan operations. Thereafter, he stayed with II/Grenadier-Ersatz-Bataillon 462, and was issued sniper equipment in March 1945: Gewehr 43, Zielfernrohr ZF4 ddx, Doppelfernrohr 6x20, Reinigungsgerät 34, Tarnausrustung in 3 pieces, Magazintasche and Magazin. Earlier, he had also received a Tarnnetz and some form of mosquito protection (page 7). There is no proof he was moved from the II/Gren.Ers.Btl.462 to an active unit during the last months of the war. I found that I/Gren.Ers.Btl.462 was added to a "Kampfgruppe 10/XVII" and saw action in the battle for Vienna. I am not sure if this was the case for the II/Gren.Ers.Btl.462 as well. Any additional info on that is more than welcome.
    Attached Files

A bit spotted, but nice portrait with three of his awards visible.
    Attached Files

Comment

His units.
      Attached Files

Comment

Wounds and awards.
        Attached Files

Comment

Equipment; so far, nothing really special...
          Attached Files

Comment

... but finding the sniper equipment on page 8c was a real thrill
            Attached Files

Comment

Nice Soldbuch

i mean i read by equipment the -> tarnnetz !

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Tommy. Yes, I had already seen the Tarnnetz entry, as mentioned in my opening post. I am less sure about the entry next to it: Mücken.... (looks like 'schleiz')
                  Attached Files

Comment

Perhaps Mückenschleier...

Comment

It is "Mückenschleier" - mosquito net

Gerdan

Comment

That must be it.. thanks!

Comment

Nice Soldbuch Tim - I like the sniper rifle, scope and gear entries

Rob

Comment

interesting to see that the magazine pouch came with one mag, I just assumed you would have two mags and one with the gun.

Comment

Very nice Tim.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X