Div. Sardinien / 90.le Inf. Division

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Div. Sardinien / 90.le Inf. Division

Yesterday recieved this little but interessting lot.

A soldier who was in Sardinien with the 90.le Inf. Division and later Division/Kommando Sardinien.

He died by an accident at the sea....heart problems.

But look the pics....comments welcome

Regards Ronnie
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

very nice lot Rise!!

Comment

thanks for your answer :-)

Yes, its a nice lot....not a fighter but a little complete lot :-)

Ciao Ronnie

Comment

Here his Volksbund list entry:

Johann Schülter

Kriegsgräberstätte / cemetery in Cagliari.

Endgrablage: Block 2 Grab 142

Nachname: Schülter
            Vorname: Johann
            Dienstgrad: Schütze
            Geburtsdatum: 05.07.1908
            Geburtsort: Erl
            Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 18.07.1943

I don't know if the photograph showing the cemetery is that one in Cagliari.

Gerdan

Comment

That must be incorrect at the volksbund.

Here ist the backside of the photo postcard from 1956....at the cemetery was buried 25 german soldiers, and the soldier listed there. So I think the photo show the grave.

Its a little village with the name Basumini.

Regards Ronnie
              Attached Files

Comment

Ronnie

I looked for some more information dealing with the German cemetery of Cagliari and found that today 424 German soldiers are burried on that cemetery which was inaugurated 3 June 1961.

As the text on the post card was written 1956 it is possible that the Volksbund Kriegsgräberfürsorgerge in 1961 brought together all German graves from Sardinia to be collected in a cemeteri in Cagliari.

Gerdan

Comment

That's a great little set. Wow, heart attack at 34....scary. Congrats on a good pickup!

Hank
                  Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
                  ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Originally posted by Gerdan View Post
                    Ronnie

I looked for some more information dealing with the German cemetery of Cagliari and found that today 424 German soldiers are burried on that cemetery which was inaugurated 3 June 1961.

As the text on the post card was written 1956 it is possible that the Volksbund Kriegsgräberfürsorgerge in 1961 brought together all German graves from Sardinia to be collected in a cemeteri in Cagliari.

Gerdan
                    the same thing happened to Rimini in the postwar : all the small German cemeteries were removed and all the dead were brought into a single large cemetery (Cervia)...

Basumiri? probabily is Barumini (It 'a small village in the center of Sardinia, about 1200 inhabitants)

http://www.ilportalesardo.it/archeo/barumini.htm
                    Last edited by mufasa; 09-01-2012, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Many thanks for this informations and help mufasa

Regards Ronnie

Comment

Originally posted by mufasa View Post
                        the same thing happened to Rimini in the postwar : all the small German cemeteries were removed and all the dead were brought into a single large cemetery (Cervia)...

Basumiri? probabily is Barumini (It 'a small village in the center of Sardinia, about 1200 inhabitants)

http://www.ilportalesardo.it/archeo/barumini.htm
                        Interesting thread! I am bringing it back due to the following. Today I was at a town called Villanovafranca on Sardinia. It lies about 6 kilometers south of Barumini.

At this location (just to the north of it) remnants of (mainly) the Africa Corps were camped and refitted here from april until september 1943. This was were the 90th Panzer grenadier Division was formed.

There were several casualties of mostly malaria then so these 25 graves do make some sense.

I am currently in Cagliari but was not planning on visiting the German burial site but again, maybe I will and see if I can get a picture of his grave.

Here pictures of the town and surroundings of Villanovafranca, just near the site.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by deejay; 08-12-2015, 05:38 PM.

Comment

After a short search, I found his grave which completes my addition to this thread.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by deejay; 08-13-2015, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Many thanks, Dirk, for your time and for the precious addiction to this thread!!!

Comment

I found an interesting photo (by Ferrania) on the start of the Sardinia Division a ... I think we are between spring and summer 1943, in San Vito (about 30 km northeast of Cagliari) ... interesting the signboard on the barack : Division Baade!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X