BunkerMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some important books for document collecters!!!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some important books for document collecters!!!

Verbände und Truppen der Deutschen Wehrmacht und der Waffen-SS im Zweiten Weltkrieg 1939-1945.
    Author: Tessin, Georg
    An excellent and complete reference of land based units of the Wehrmacnht and SS in 21 volumes....Kriegsmarine ships etc. not listed however. Units listed numerically in Wehrkreis, Armee, Korps, Division, Bataillon, Abteilung, Korpstruppen, Heerestruppen, named units etc.
    Osnabrück 1967-1998. ISBN 3-7648-0941-8. 19 Volumes:
    €900

TESSIN Errata

http://niehorster.orbat.com/011_germ...tessin_00.html

Die Deutsche Feldpostubersicht 1939-1945 .
    Author: Kannapin, Norbert
    Full listings of all Feldpost numbers in 3 volumes.
    Osnabrück Biblio 1980 /81/82. 3 ISBN: 3764811838 €200

Die Deutsche Feldpost 1939-1945 : Organisation Und Lokalisation Der Feldpostamter Und Feldpostdienststellen.
    Author: Norbert Kannapin
    ISBN: 3-7648-1731-3 €80

Waffen-SS Und Ordnungspolizei Im Kriegseinsatz 1939-1945 : Ein Uberblick Anhand Der Feldpostubersicht.
    Author: Norbert Kannapin
    ISBN : 3-7648-2471-9 €80

Kurt Mehner, Militair-Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall.
    Die deutsche Wehrmacht 1939-1945 (Führung und Truppe, Band 1) ISBN 3-931533-00-x
    Die deutsche Luftwaffe 1939-1945 (Führung und Truppe, Band 2) ISBN 3-931533-01-8
    Die Waffen SS und Polizei 1939-1945 (Führung und Truppe, Band 3) ISBN 3-931533-02-6

http://www.patzwall.de/katalog/index_de.shtml

Awards

CD's (if you can find them!)

Orginisationsgeschichte der deutschen Wehrmacht 1935-45
    VMD (Verlag Media Data) GmBH €120

Feldpostübersicht der Deutschen Wehrmacht
    VMD (Verlag Media Data) GmBH €90

Die Ordensträger der deutschen Wehrmacht

Die Verluste der Deutschen Luftwaffe 1940-1945
    VMD (Verlag Media Data) GmBH

/Ian
    Last edited by Ian Jewison; 03-23-2008, 12:34 PM.
    Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Ian

Thanks for the info, the later two cd's do they hold the same info as the hard copies or are there any omissions?? I have scanned Detlev's and see that he sells the cd's.
    Regards
    Si

SWS Collection 01-14 Images Copyright.

Comment

There are errors on the CD's, however much of the info is the same!

Little things are missing ...I personally prefer the books but for quickness the CD's do

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Thanks Ian, I will go for the cheap option at the moment and later the more expensive - its easier to con the wife with a cd
        Regards
        Si

Comment

For anyone that's serious about document collecting those two works are about the best place to start when building up your reference library.

A couple of things about Tessin. Whilst it is the best there is as far as unit information goes it is worth mentioning what it does not contain.
          It only goes down to battallion level, in other words, the many independent units of company size and smaller are not included.
          It only gives a very brief description of the unit and the very roughest of details of where that unit fought. It does not contain the names of any commanders other than at the army level. It isn't completely 100% accurate, there are mistakes and there are omissions but they are very few indeed considering the massive nature of the work.

Simon
          Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Hey Simon,

One would imagine then you have to search for finite books on the units in question?? Or are there other works/complations you would recommend/
            Regards
            Si

Comment

These are a must if you research documents and units, however like most works there are errors.....

The CD's have more errors than the books as they used OCR (optical character recognition) and not all characters were recognised correctly

Otherwise buy each and every unit history which will be expensive and hard to do!?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jewison
                These are a must if you research documents and units, however like most works there are errors.....

The CD's have more errors than the books as they used OCR (optical character recognition) and not all characters were recognised correctly

Otherwise buy each and every unit history which will be expensive and hard to do!?!?!
                Ian,

May I also suggest a publication called "The Replacement Army" which shows which units certain Ersatz units fed. I forget the author, as it is at home (and I am not), but hopefully someone can help.

Comment

Chris,
                  I think this is the one you are talking about :

German Replacement Army

by W. Victor Madeja

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TH vAlign=top align=right>ISBN:</TH><TD>0-941052-17-6 / 0941052176</TD></TR><TR><TH vAlign=top align=right>Title:</TH><TD>German Replacement Army</TD></TR><TR><TH vAlign=top align=right>Author:</TH><TD>W. Victor Madeja</TD></TR><TR><TH vAlign=top align=right>Publisher:</TH><TD>Valor Publishing Company</TD></TR><TR><TH vAlign=top align=right>Edition:</TH><TD>Softcover</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
                  It's way out of print and bloody expensive! (check bookfinder.com - $220 US)
                  I actually own another book from the same company on elite formations of the German armed forces, and it's very good - very handy reference.
                  Cheers,
                  Ray.

Comment

Simon
                    Yes, pretty much. So it's an advantage if you specialize on one particular area, in my case the German armed forces in North Norway and Finland. Of course you can also take it one step further and start getting copies of documents from the bundesarchiv.

Another set of books i find invaluable are the Ritterkreuzträger series published by Biblio verlag. They are way more than just lists or bios of the RK holders. They contain dozens of award document examples and far more than just the RK award docs, As useful as Forman's two volumes on the subject. Some of the volumes also include all DKiG, DKiS and Honour roll clasp winners.
                    Detlev sells them amongst others.
                    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Ian or anyone who knows,

I did a quick internet search for the book or cd and found neither. Can someone tell me where I can get a copy of the CD?

Feldpostübersicht der Deutschen Wehrmacht

Thanks in advance,

Brent

Comment

Hi Brent, Detlev sells it at -

http://www.detlev-niemann.com/

Cheers
                        Ian

Comment

Feldpost on CD

Ian,

Thank you for the link: http://www.detlev-niemann.com/ . I found it and found the CD listing.

Question: How are you able to do searches on the CD? (i.e. if I type in 321 do I get every rgt., btl., komp., div., feldpost number where 321 appears?) So I just limit the amount of info I have to sift through to find what I am looking for? OR can I type in 321 Infanterie Division and it gives me all feldpost numbers related to that division? OR option C.....?

Thanks again,

Brent

Comment

Originally posted by Brent Young
                            Ian,

Thank you for the link: http://www.detlev-niemann.com/ . I found it and found the CD listing.

Question: How are you able to do searches on the CD? (i.e. if I type in 321 do I get every rgt., btl., komp., div., feldpost number where 321 appears?) So I just limit the amount of info I have to sift through to find what I am looking for? OR can I type in 321 Infanterie Division and it gives me all feldpost numbers related to that division? OR option C.....?

Thanks again,

Brent
                            That takes some time to find out how the are listed....e.g. Inanterie-Regiment 321, however there a few mistakes and typos.....trial and error in most cases!!
                            Try "find" with " 321" on a page as well as opposed to just "321".

/Ian

Comment

Another book I would be recommanding is:

The wehrmacht at war 1939-1945. The Units and Commanders of the German Ground Forces during World War II

Written by Andris J. Kursietis.

It contains a list of all Army divisions, their commanders and where the division was fighting (including dates).

This includes wehrmacht and SS divisions (SS corps).

Then in the same book a biographie of army generals. Not all the generals are in the book. I think they made a list of the most important. I think there are a couple of hundred in it.

Book is still available and not very expensive. I believe I payed some 35 euro for it.

A lot of information for this money.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X