No announcement yet.

Lets see your Panzer crew member Soldbuchs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clearer photos of the Stabsmusikmeister of 7 Pz.Div.
    Last edited by Ian Jewison; 06-24-2009, 04:55 PM.
    Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

This has been shown before.....not by me however!

Comment

Nice photo after being awarded the Ritterkreuz. Note he is missing a Totenkopf!

Comment

FANTASTIC thread and so great document Ian, I like them so much...

Comment

2 others : Up SS-Pz. Rgt. 5
              Down Sturmg. Rgt. "H. G."

URL=http://img164.imageshack.us/my.php?image=divers275.jpg][/URL]
              By judex232

Comment

By judex232

Comment

By judex232

Comment

By judex232

Comment

By judex232

Comment

By judex232

Comment

By judex232

Comment

Beautiful pieces, Christof and Ian!

Rob

Comment

Here’s something a little different that I think should make a nice addition this thread (and should also look a bit familiar to Mr. Jewison

This is a Soldbuch to a Luftwaffe member who in 1944 was transferred to the Heer, serving first in Heer-Flakartillerie-Ersatz-Abteilung 276 and then Festungs (Pantherturm) Kompanie 1209, a unit that manned pillboxes made from turrets of damaged/disabled Panthers which (from what I can gather from the limited information I have found on this unit) was formed on 19.November 1944 and stationed in La Futa, Italy, on the Gothic line guarding the Futa Pass (or “Passo della Futa”) in the Tuscan-Emilian Apennines.

Here’s a map showing the approximate position of where Patherturm Kompanie 1209 was stationed, marked with a yellow circle (map taken from here):

There were two types of Pantherstellung produced between 1942-45:

Pantherturm (Stahluntersatz): produced with a steel box base, reinforced with concrete
                              Pantherturm (Betonsockel): produced with a concrete base (regelbau 687)

Supposedly there was a third version, Panther-Turm A (Schnelleinbau) made from a heavy log/wooden bunker base, but I have yet to find any confirmed examples of this version actually being constructed and used.

These turrets came from all three versions of the Panther; ausf.D, .A and .G models. In some cases the turret was simply removed from the tank and placed onto the structure with little to no modifications, other turrets had the commander’s cupola removed and replaced with a new flat hatch and visor block.

Here are some shots of the Soldbuch. Notice on page 08 that he was issued a flare pistol, a pistol and a pair of binoculars:

Here are some photographs of actual Pantherstellungs…

First up is a Pantherstellung (Regelbau 687) which shows an unmodified Panther ausf.D turret with original commander’s cupola:

Second is a Pantherstellung (Stahluntersatz) which illustrates how the turret was modified by completely removing the commander’s cupola and replacing it with a modified circular hatch (shown here in the open position) with vision block, no doubt reducing the silhouette and producing less of a target:

Now for a few Pantherstellung wrecks:

The first two were taken in Italy, 1945. The first one shows a US GI standing next to heavily damaged and burnt out Regelbau 687 Pantherstellung, where the turret has been blown clear off it’s base:

The next one, also taken in Italy, shows a Pantherstellung being examined by a British soldier and shows a turret which equipped with the later style asuf.A/G commander’s cupola:

And three more Pantherstellung wrecks, again - all taken in Italy:

Last edited by Rob Johnson; 05-13-2009, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Wow Rob!
                                This is a rare bird!
                                To be honest i didnt even think such units existed but were jut made "on the field"
                                Great!

Daniele

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X