X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early Fallschirmjager Soldbuch Questions

I do realy hope someone can help me out with following questions

Fliegendes Personal SOLDBUCH PAGE1
    In a number of Soldbuchs I have seen in books I noticed that on the first page, on top, with the hand is written or with a stamp 'Fliegendes Personal' (mostly in red). Why was this? Was it not normal for someone to belong to the Luftwaffe that he was Fliegendes Personal ?

Units SOLDBUCH PAGE 4
    What is the difference between the sections B, C, and D on page 4 of the Soldbuch ? Are those of section B the first (training) unit when someone joined the Luftwaffe and other schools he went to and that in section C the unit they were sent to after training was done ?
    And were the entry's in section D the trainingcourses someone got while serving with the unit mentioned in section C ??? I find this most confusing.

Besondere Bekleidungsvermerke SOLDBUCH PAGE 6-7-8
    I the Soldbuch there is a page what equipment was issued to him.
    I was wondering if in the soldbuch of a Fallschirmjager also was mentioned the special equipment/uniform they did wear such as smock. jumptroussers, Fallschirmjager helmet, gasmaskbag, bandoliers, or was this considered to be 'normal' and not mentioned.

Ofcourse, I am also very interested to see soldbuchs op people here who has soldbuchs of Fallschirmjägers, especialy those who went to Stendal between 1938-1940.

Thanks in advance,

Peter
    Last edited by Peter C Vrolijk; 02-01-2008, 08:18 AM. Reason: typo mistake

In a number of Soldbuchs I have seen in books I noticed that on the first page, on top, with the hand is written or with a stamp 'Fliegendes Personal' (mostly in red). Why was this? Was it not normal for someone to belong to the Luftwaffe that he was Fliegendes Personal ?
    The other major classifications were:
    Fliegertruppe Personal (non-flying ground servicing, support and supply personnel)
    Flakartillerie Personal (Flak personnel)
    Luftnachrichten Personal (Air Force signals personnel)
    Bau Personal (Air Force construction personnel)
    Sanitäts Personal (Air Force medical personnel)

Fliegendes Personal included air crew and Fallschirmjäger.

You might want to consider getting a basic, elementary-level handbook on the Luftwaffe. The British author Alfred Price has written several.

--Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Peter C Vrolijk View Post

This was normal for flying personnel....including Fallschirmjäger, Flugzeugführer, Beobachter, Fliegerschützen/Mechaniker etc.
      Not so common for other trades however, I do have "Springendes Personal mit Schein" also for badged Fj! Also B1 for Geschützführer and something on the lines of aerial photographer as well!

Units SOLDBUCH PAGE 4
      What is the difference between the sections B, C, and D on page 4 of the Soldbuch ? Are those of section B the first (training) unit when someone joined the Luftwaffe and other schools he went to and that in section C the unit they were sent to after training was done ?
      And were the entry's in section D the trainingcourses someone got while serving with the unit mentioned in section C ??? I find this most confusing.

You didn't mention A but here it is:

A - Responsible Recruiting Area H.Q. or Military Reporting Office (where he joined up!)

B - Replacement unit that he actually served with. Could be training, convalescing, returning from leave etc.

C - Current field unit.

D - Current replacement unit for the unit mentioned in section C. If there is a unit here it does not necessarily mean he served with that unit. If he did then it should be mentioned in section B....however clerks do make mistakes!

Besondere Bekleidungsvermerke SOLDBUCH PAGE 6-7-8
      I the Soldbuch there is a page what equipment was issued to him.
      I was wondering if in the soldbuch of a Fallschirmjager also was mentioned the special equipment/uniform they did wear such as smock. jumptroussers, Fallschirmjager helmet, gasmaskbag, bandoliers, or was this considered to be 'normal' and not mentioned.

Depends which Soldbuch you are referring to! From what you say above A, B, C and D on page 4 then that is an Army Soldbuch. Luftwaffe only had section A, B and C.
      In a Luftwaffe Soldbuch, the special "Fj" clothing was mentioned between pages 6 and 7 on a sub page F. Fallschirmjäger Dienst.

Ofcourse, I am also very interested to see soldbuchs op people here who has soldbuchs of Fallschirmjägers, especialy those who went to Stendal between 1938-1940.

You will not see a Soldbuch prior to last week of August 1939 as they were not issued in peacetime. Prior to this the Truppenausweis was used.....in war the Tarn-Ausweis.

/Ian
      Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Just one more thing to add to Larry and Ian answers about the Fliegendes Personal. This practice was started after an order came down form the OKL on 6.7.44. It required that the specialty would be written in red and placed between the name and the Erkennungsmarke.
        Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by JUNGCO View Post
          Just one more thing to add to Larry and Ian answers about the Fliegendes Personal. This practice was started after an order came down form the OKL on 6.7.44. It required that the specialty would be written in red and placed between the name and the Erkennungsmarke.
          Jeff
          Thats interesting Jeff as I would have said it was much earlier!

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Yes, I thought so too and it actually goes on to say what and where you were to make entries in the Wehrpass and Kriegsstammrolle.
            Jeff

Comment

Thanks !

You will not see a Soldbuch prior to last week of August 1939 as they were not issued in peacetime
              That is interesting to hear. But if a men was already in the army in August 1939, would they also mention the units where he served in before that time, or was the first entry of unit that he was in when the soldbuch was introduced ????

Peter

Comment

Thanks !

That is interesting to hear. But if a men was already in the army in August 1939, would they also mention the units where he served in before that time, or was the first entry of unit that he was in when the soldbuch was introduced ????

Peter
                If the man was already in the Army then it would be opened by his current unit obviously and with current rank.
                Sometimes the clerk would fill in previous units but this is not very often.....I have sometimes seen this in Ersatz/Zweitschrift documents also.

The advantage with Luftwaffe Soldbücher is they recorded the date the person was transferred to and from a unit, unlike the Heer and SS. Kriegsmarine also had the date of transfer.

/Ian

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X