U-Boat Soldbuch - POW U-190

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello RK,

I am new to this forum, having just joined and am amazed at the scope of it. One of my many interests are U-Boat commanders. I have been collecting autographs for over twenty years, Knights Cross winners/Victoria Cross Winners/Medal of Honor Recipients/Fighter Aces and U-Boat Commanders. In 1987 I was at a local gun show and came across some press release photos, one of which was Hans-Edwin Reith. I quickly paid for my little treasure. It was taken in May 1945 Halifax and shows Reith leaving a harbour craft in U-Boat leather jacket cap and brief case in hand ! The captionb on the backl described him as CO of U-119, but as I had just finished readingHadley's "U-Boats against Canada" and had distinctly remebered that it was U-190 not U-119. In the book it mentioned that he was in Hamburg, running a successful business. I contacted another U-Boat commander who I knew in Hamburg and he provided me with Herr Reith's address. I wrote to him in 1987 and sent a copy of the press release photo to him as well. I have more to the story but have to run

Cheers !
    Bill

Comment

Hello Bill, and welcome to the Forum. I know you'll find it extremely interesting and informative. The knowledge and expertise of many fellow members here is astounding!
      Would it be possible for you to post your photo of Reith?
      Looking forward to hearing the rest of the story!
      Thanks kindly,
      Roy

Comment

Hi Roy,

Here is the photo of Reith !

Comment

Sorry Roy,

Justing getting used to using the system, HERE is the photo of Reith !
          Attached Files

Comment

Roy,

Reverse of photo
            Attached Files

Comment

Roy,

As you can see I am making a bloody mess of this thread. Just posted the copy of Reith's reply to me regarding the two officers in the photo that was posted earlier, with is signature.

One more try to post the reverse of the photo of Reith coming up !
              Attached Files

Comment

Hans-Edwin Reith

Fabulous Bill....thanks very much for posting!

I have to work on the translation, but it appears that Herr Reith is advising, with sorrow, that he does not know the whereabouts of Muller or Glenk, nor does he know if they're still alive.

Regarding Herr Muller, take a look at his cap insignia in the photo posted on page 1. It's not the U-190 emblem, so Muller must have served on another U-Boot prior to U-190.....U-48 perhaps?

Comment

Hi Roy,

If needed, I can send the photo direct to you. Yes your translation is essentially correct, he could not help me with locating Muller or Genk. As far as the insignia on Mullers cap, an interesting point and I am sure there are some U-Boat experts out there that can shed some light on the subject. U-190 did have a boat insignia "The Star of Rio", so why would Muller be wearing another boats insignia. Did all crew members were the boat insignia or was it (probably) the commanders decision that it was to be worn. It is possible that Muller served on U-522 ( see attachment) which was sunk and either he survived and or was on shore leave/medical leave a course ?? when the boat was sunk and he wore it as a sign of respect/remembrance ??

Any ideas comments anyone ??

Roy, I'll get in touch with you this week end, like to talk to you more on the U-190/George and the up coming show !

Cheers
                  Bill
                  Attached Files

Comment

PS the info on the U-522 is from Georg Hogel's book Embleme Wappen Malings deutscher U-Boote 1939-1945

Comment

U-190

A little late in years to post anything on U-190 but nonetheless here goes!
                      I have a U-boat spange (bronze) engraved by owner on reverse U-190 with initials 'AK'. I've researched all crew members of U-190 and there is only one with those initials....Adalbert Knope MtrOGfr (dob 16.12.1922). Does anyone have any information i.e. photos of him.Surrendered 14 May 1945 at Bay Bulls, Newfoundland. Understand crew sent to POW Camp in Halifax.

Comment

U-190

Of interest I have the U-Boat Spange in bronze engraved by the owner Adalbert Knope. He was the only crew member having the initials (AK) so it must be him. His position was MtrOGfr. If anyone has a photograph of this crew member would be great. Of interest the U-Boat Museum in Cuxhaven, Germany which is run on a voluntary service is a great place for research. They appreciate any donations for their service which I've always found 'fantastic'

Comment

U-190

Does anyone have a photo a crew member of U190 (whose engraved combat badge in bronze I have) Adalbert Knopke (MtroGfr) dob 16.12.1922. Thanks in anticipation.

Comment

Just outstanding Roy, terrific group wonderful pics. Ian always shines through.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X