Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kindly asking for an Ancestry Lookup for Relative

Hey!

I've been researching Rolf Paul Günther Heimhalt (Günther Heimhalt) for about 40 years. He is my ex-wife's grandfather (but he's my children's Great Grandfather, so doing this for them). He was an Oberfeldwebel and platoon leader in 9./I.R. 7 of the 252nd Infantry Division. He was killed 23 Mar 1943 near Vrasny Wiselki Southeast of Smolensk.

I have his Wehrpass, condolence letter from his CO, etc.

I'm just curious what Ancestry may have on him.

Günther Heimhalt
    Born 18.4.1915 in Brieg

Any help would be very much appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Wiking44

I found this but I think you know it.

http://www.denkmalprojekt.org/2019/t..._heimhalt.html

Gerdan

Comment

Originally posted by Gerdan View Post
      Wiking44

I found this but I think you know it.

http://www.denkmalprojekt.org/2019/t..._heimhalt.html

Gerdan
      Thank you! Yes, I submitted that a couple of years ago, but didn't know they accepted and uploaded it! Sweet!

But they got date of birth wrong.

Comment

There are three cards for Günther Heimhalt, with front and back images.

Michael

Heimhalt1.jpg
        Heimhalt2.jpg
        Heimhalt3.jpg
        Heimhalt4.jpg
        Heimhalt5.jpg
        Heimhalt6.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Lutfen View Post
          There are three cards for Günther Heimhalt, with front and back images.

Michael
          Michael:

THANK YOU!!!!! Not sure if there's anything new here, but everything I can gather I appreciate. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Wiking44 View Post

Michael:

THANK YOU!!!!! Not sure if there's anything new here, but everything I can gather I appreciate. Cheers!
            My pleasure.

Michael

Comment

Gefallen: I. G. Br.
              It's how he died. The abbreviation probably means: Infanterie Geschoss, Brust. So he got a rifle shot on the chest.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironcrown View Post
                Gefallen: I. G. Br.
                It's how he died. The abbreviation probably means: Infanterie Geschoss, brust. So he got a rifle shot on the chest.
                Thank you! I did not know that.

It's interesting that it somewhat corresponds with the condolence letter that was sent to the family. His Company Commander - Hauptmann Müller - states:

"Als es dem Russen am 22.3. unter ungeheuren Einsatz an Mensch en gelungen war, in unsere Linie einzubrechen, stürzte sich Ihr lieber Mann mit seinen Leuten entgegen, vernichtete alles, was sich ihm in den Weg stellte und beseitigte damit eine grosse Gefahr für die ganze Linie. Im letzten Moment jedoch traf ihn die feindliche Kugel mitten ins Herz, so dass er sofort, ohne grosse Schmerzen ausstehe zu müssen, die Augen für imm schloss."

I figured he told her he was shot in the heart and died instantly was the normal way to convey that to next-of-kin, as opposed to "He lay at the bottom of the trench for 15 minutes, crying and begging for his mother."

He received an EK I posthumously for this action.

As an aside, Jan Stiller from Team Militaria had a RK for sale a couple of years ago that belonged to a soldier who was in the same company as Heimhalt. Jan had photo-copies of the soldier's award certificates. Included was an EK II document dated the same day Heimhalt died. I've always wondered if he was in the same platoon. They certainly knew each other.

Comment

I guess I should say that the RK winner was Ebolin Ebner.

Comment

Can anyone see the two above posts? In the forum it is showing Ironcrown as the last person to respond.

Comment

I can see the post

Comment

Originally posted by tiziano buttier View Post
                        I can see the post
                        Thanks...there was something wonky going on, but seems to be fixed now.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X