X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A young Soldier on the Apennines

Hi all,
    I want to share with you this document.
    Wehrpass released on February 1942 by the Military District of Leibnitz to Josef Röck.
    Josef was born in Kronnersdorf on March 15th 1924, a small town near Bad Radkersburg in Austria.
    He was a farmer, as his parents Karl and Maria. After his basic training in various Jäger unit, he is transferred on April 3rd 1943 to the Grenadier-Regiment 880, which was part of the larger project to reconstitute the 6th Army and its units, destroyed in Stalingrad. The 305.ID was one of this division, formed in February in Bretagne and received in April the personnel from others units. The GR. 880 was renamed GR. 578. At the time the division had 16.660 man, 6.600 horses. The majority of the soldier was of the classes 1923 and 1924, as our Josef.

On August 1943 the Division was transferred in North Italy on the Ligurian Coast. Here on September 8th 1943 its units disarmed the Italian units, without particular difficulty. As the commander of the 305. ID, Wilhelm Hauck remembered after the war on the eve of the Armistice «in general we knew was to do for the "Achse" case», while the Italians made the «childish mistake» believing that the sufferings of the war were about to end.
    On November 1943 the Division moved to Southern Italy and as Gruppe Hauck (GR. 576 and 578) defended the Adriatic sector of the Gustav-Linie near Ortona.
    Here on March 25th 1944 Josef was wounded in Cotrada-Secca near Tollo, during a fight with a patrol of the “Seaforth Hughlanders of Canada". As stated in the Canadian documents during this night only one patrol had a direct fight with the German in the GR. 578 Sector, the Canadians lost two men.
    In the LI. Gebirgskorps KTB are reported in the 305.ID Sector were repelled «two enemy patrol and one assault group with the strength of 40-60 men».
    After 3 months in the Lazarett, Josef returned to his unit.
    Attached Files

A Map of Contrada- Collesecco (Tollo)
    Attached Files

Comment

During the Summer 1944 the 305.ID followed the withdrawal of the German troops in Tuscany: Arezzo and the Casentino Valley. At the beginning of September the unit held the position on the Central Sector of the Gothic-Line, between the Muraglione-Pass and Camaldoli / Serravalle.

On October the 305.ID was in the Marradi area. Here Josef found his faith:
      he was killed by an headshot in Point 606 (near Mount Cavallara) - 1,5km NW Badia della Valle.
      On this day the brave soldiers of the 8th Indian-Division launched the final assault on Mount Cavallara after an heavy artillery fire. It was an hard fight.

As Ray Ward wrote in his memory:

Christopher had arrived as I stood contemplating the body of a German, one of three killed in our initial attack. He was young, barely out of his teens, lying on his side beside a Spandau and belts of ammo. I salvaged some of his belongings: identification and family photographs, the usual stuff. I was filled with sombre thoughts about the untimely deaths of so many young men, on both sides, whose lives had been sacrificed, and wondered how many more were to die. None of us had much sleep that night and what little I had was interrupted by disturbing dreams.
      Attached Files

Comment

Josef is not listed on the Volksbund. His name it's in the monument to the fallen soldiers in the city of Strade.

Thanks for reading,
        Pietro
        Attached Files

Comment

Very nice and interesting Wehrpass, and great research.
          Ciao Oriano

Comment

Thanks dear Oriano!

A touching video of the Sikh in 2014 remembering their relatives in Monte Cavallara:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lfcHuyfxFk

After the war many of them decided to stay in Italy, the country they help to free and where many of them lost their lives.

Comment

sorry, i didn't find "Apennines" in the WP
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by PanzerElite View Post
                sorry, i didn't find "Apennines" in the WP
                Hi,
                it's not written in my Wehrpass, but Monte Cavallara it's in the Italian Apennines!
                Yours is 1. Fallschirmjaeger-Division?

Greetings from Italy
                Pietro

Comment

Originally posted by pie View Post
                  hi,

yours is 1. Fallschirmjaeger-division?

Greetings from italy
                  pietro

, great, yes. FJR1

Comment

Originally posted by PanzerElite View Post

, great, yes. FJR1
                    1st Falls. Div.

very nice video Pietro!
                    Attached Files

Comment

They were in Cavallara several times. As we can see in the video, they're singing nearby their monument!

Greetings from Italy
                      Pietro

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X