French soldier / Foreign Legion ???? and fell in 1944 Wehrmacht

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

French soldier / Foreign Legion ???? and fell in 1944 Wehrmacht

Can someone help me, the french soldier adolf steiger was at the foreign legion, i don't know the french documents ??? !!!

In 1943 he was in prison in Karlsruhe and in 1944 he died in a hospital in Latvia. Unit FP 29 595 B Panzergrenadier-Regiment 25.

Marko
    Attached Files

last
    Attached Files

Comment

This German soldier volunteered into the "Légion Etrangère" in July 1936 for a 5 years period. He served in Algeria and Morocco from 1936 to 1938 at least. In July 1941 he was free to leave the Légion. In March 1942 he was still in the South of France where he applied for a work permit. I assume that after the annexion of the South of France ("zone libre") in November 1942 he was sent to jail in Germany. Then you know the rest of the story...

Comment

Originally posted by schoenwurf View Post
        This German soldier volunteered into the "Légion Etrangère" in July 1936 for a 5 years period. He served in Algeria and Morocco from 1936 to 1938 at least. In July 1941 he was free to leave the Légion. In March 1942 he was still in the South of France where he applied for a work permit. I assume that after the annexion of the South of France ("zone libre") in November 1942 he was sent to jail in Germany. Then you know the rest of the story...
        Thank you so much for the quick help

Marko

Comment

When he entered the Legion, the Legion modified his surname from Steiger to Staiger -- this is the "anonymat." I've read that nowadays a Legionaire can revert to his real name after he's been in for a while; I do not know if that option was available in the 30s~40s.

-- Guy

Comment

I'm wondering if his prison time was a result of avoiding service in the German military.

A rather interesting group regardless.

Comment

Interesting is also the document from June 1945 issued by the authorities in the French occupation zone saying that the Staiger family is permitted not to give a civilian suit (?) given that the son was a Legionnaire

Comment

super interesting !!!!!!!!!!!!! i have a family member wich was at the same time at French fremd legion ,just sadly no documets survived .

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X