Help with unit on a Soldbuch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with unit on a Soldbuch

Hello, I just got a Soldbuch issued in 1940 by 1./Pz. Jaeg. Ers. Abt. 10. The soldier went to Russia, and seems that at first was assigned to the Marsch Bataillon XIII/3. As far as I found out on Web, this unit provided reinforcements for the 2.Armee.
    Then the soldier was transfered to a 2./Fahr Schw. - Vers. Regt. 297, that should be, if I have read correctly, 2 Kompanie - Fahr Schwadron - verstärkte Regiment 297.
    Is this correct? I didn't find nothing about this unit.
    In the same Soldbuch I found this note, written with a biro pen so postwar for sure, that should be the actual unit the guy was assigned to. 519.J.R - 296. J.D., that )I don't think it's just a case) belonged for some time to the 2. Armee. Does it make sense?
    In particular I can't understand the part regarding the verstärkte Regiment 297.

The same paper, and the info in the Soldbuch as well, say that the soldier was wounded on 27.12.1941. He spent the rest of the war in hospitals and Ersatz units.
    If the guy actually belonged to the 296 J.D., he was wounded at the gates of Moskow!

Any suggestion would be appreciated
    Attached Files

It is not a verstärkte Regiment it is a Versorgungs Regiment.

Infanterie-Divisions-Nachschubführer 297

Aufgestellt im Februar 1940. Am 15. Oktober 1942 in
    Kommandeur der Infanterie-Divisions-Nachschubtruppen 297 umbenannt. Im Januar 1943 in Stalingrad vernichtet.
    Neu aufgestellt im Sommer 1943. Am 1. September 1944 in
    Versorgungs-Regiment 297 umbenannt.

It was renamed into Vers.Reg.297. And so yes, he was a part of the 297. Inf. Div.
    WWW.EDELWEISS-ANTIQUES.COM

Specialized in Uniforms, Mountain Troops and Heeresbergfuhrer

Comment

Great, thanks a lot, this was of great help

Comment

Despite the great infos given by AntiqueWW2 I still have some doubts regarding the career of this soldier. So I'm posting now the entire document, hoping that someone will halp to make it more clear.

First of all, I found that the writing on the note is also present, written with pencil, on the first page of the Soldbuch. it refers to the 296th Division, but the Versorgungs Regiment 297 belonged to the 297th Division. And in 1941, one division fought near Moskow, in the south, heading on Stanlingrad

Also, reading on the Lexikon der Wehrmacht, the Versorgung Regiment 297 took this name in 1944. So maybe it's a new late war assignment?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Ironcrown; 04-24-2020, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Page 2 and 3, they give very few informations about the units. Most stamps are from hospitals.
          Attached Files

Comment

The most important data are here, at page 4.
            Feldtruppenteil
            Marschbatl XIII/3
            2./Fahrschw. Vers. Regt 297

Maybe the first entry is from 1941 (and the man was then drafted to the 296 ID) while the second entry is a late war one, probably from 1945?
            Attached Files

Comment

The following pages are not of great help, as they have entries mostly from hospitals and replacement units...
              Attached Files

Comment

The hospitalizations. It seems that for a single wound the soldier went thought various hospital from the beginnini of 1942 until May 1943. Nearly one and a half year!
                It may be of interest the first war-hospital: it's the Kriegslazarett 2/609, active in the central sector of the russian front, at Minsk if the informations I got are exact.
                Regarding the wound itself, I read that he got a splinter in the left knie. Is that correct?
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Ironcrown; 04-24-2020, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Security checks. The late ones are from the Grenadier Ersatz und Ausbildungs Bataillon 20 (motorisiert).
                  Attached Files

Comment

Payments...
                    Attached Files

Comment

Decorations, the black wound badge and the Ostmedaille, both bestowed at the hospital.
                      Curiously, the guy got the ribbon only for the medal
                      "Band fuer Ostmedaille verliehen".
                      Attached Files

Comment

He got many leaves, but that's all!

Any comment will be appreciated, as usual
                        Attached Files

Comment

So, correct me if I'm wrong, the career of this soldier can be summarized in this way...

- Drafted in late 1940 in the Panzerjaeger Ersatz Abteilung 10
                          - Trained there for many months, then in mid or late 1941, he was assigned to the Marschbataillon XIII/3 and sent to the russian front.
                          - Went into 14./I.R.519, 296.J.D and fought in the central sector until he was wounded on 27.12.1941, Probably in Tula area, south of Moskow. The 14th Coy was the antitank unit of each regiment.
                          - Evacuated, he arrived at the Kriegslazarett 2/609 on 1.1.1942 with a splinter wound in the left knie.
                          - He was transfered in various hospitals until May 1943.
                          - While in the hospitals, he was awarded the black wound badge and the Ostmedaille.
                          - On May he was sent back to the Panzerjaeger Ersatz Abteilung 10 - Genesenden Kompanie.
                          - After a recovery leave, he was assigned to the Grenadier Ersatz Bataillon (motorisierte) 20. Probably, although the wound was not so severe, the knie did not recover completelyso he was found unfit for a frontline duty.
                          -He remained in the Ersatz nearly till the end of the war. In the last months he was assigned to another unit, the Grenadier Ersatz und Ausbildung Bataillon 213.
                          -Then, we are now in early 1945, he was sent to the Versorgungs Regiment 297 of the 297.JD, active in the Balkans and surrendered the to the yugoslavian partisans at the end of the war.

Do you think it's all correct?

Comment

Hello !

You did a nice job analyzing all the entries and think it is all correct .
                            All units are from WK XIII, so that fits, except his very last one (297. Inf.Div.) but I think that is normal at that time.

It might be interesting, that he was appointed R.O.B. in February 1945.

The last dated entry I see is from 13. February 1945, by Marsch-Kp. EuA-Btl. 213.
                            This entry I don't understand :
                            They crossed out the 1. Kompanie on p. 1, but then the exact same EKM entry is added by hand ?!
                            Any explanation for this ?

Best regards,

Archi

Comment

Thanks Archi!
                              Yes I agree, strange entry. It was declared that the dogtag changed, but in fact the old one was confirmed. Maybe it was decided not to change it? Or maybe they striked a new one with the old entries?

I think that the most interesting aspect of this Soldbuch is that the soldier was wounded at the end of the germaan advance in Russia. In the central sector they couldn't advance more eastward than that.

Can somebody read what kind of "Splitter" hit his "linke Kniegelenk"?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X