Can Anyone Help Me Decipher This Page?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Anyone Help Me Decipher This Page?

Could someone please help me to decipher this page? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would... but the scan is definitely to small to read it properly. A sharper one please.

Comment

Sorry, here is a bigger scan. My apologies and my thanks in advance for any assistance.
      Attached Files

Comment

The top note states that the "owner" was given the Wehrpass but it does not mean that he was released from the Wehrmacht. The lower states that the unit was dissolved. Both are dated 16.4.45.

Comment

Thank you pauke!

Since the unit was disbanded so late in the war, do you think that would mean he went home or could he have been reassigned?

Thanks,
          Jonathan

Comment

I had two acquaintances who were in the Ruhr Pocket and both were given the choice to be discharged and try to make their way home if they desired. The alternate was to surrender with the unit and become POWs. Both received their Wehrpass and could take whatever provisions they wanted and go. One left with a friend and they made it home northeast of Frankfurt and the other with a small group headed east. Both friends made it home and never were taken prisoner, one in the American zone and the other in the Soviet zone. Your example of a Weahrpass makes me wonder exactly what did become of the soldier and I could not guess other than becoming a prisoner. Maybe someone else knows the answer.

Comment

Thanks so much, Pauke. Weber did survive and lived at least into the 1970's, so one of those two scenarios definitely happened for sure. Along with the group was a timeline of Weber's life.
              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X