Helmut Weitze

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Group + SB rare Entry confinement Fort Driant METZ 1944 !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Group + SB rare Entry confinement Fort Driant METZ 1944 !

Hi guys ! I have not published anything for a while now and I am happy to share with you this IMO highly desirable SB, before parting with the whole Group who don't match to my research area. This Soldier served with teh 79th "Tapfer und Treu" division, WIA and evacuated before the battle of Stalingrad. The very first time I own an original "PAULUS" signature, I really ignore if it is common or not, at first glance I don't think so...

1943 he was sick and was recovering in different hospital, including Metz. At an unknow date he was transferred to the 3./V.G.R.1217 belonging to the 462.V.G.D., a unit made of bits and piece, but who nevertheless played an important role during the battle of Metz against the 5th and later 95th U.S.I.D.

the entry, prior his surrendering with the whole garrison of "Feste Kronprinz" (Fort Driant in french) , attests that this Feldwebel belongs to the 611 soldiers who surrendered on Dec.8th 1944, after 21 days under US bombing, suffering from starvation, many days after the fortress of Metz itself has been taken by the 95.U.S.I.D.

That's the very first time I see this very entry.... Hope you enjoy...
    Attached Files

Lionel,
    Talk about interesting! This Soldbuch really shows how entries can be so chaotic during combat, which always adds a challenge to collecting. Thanks for showing.
    Jeff

Comment

That is an unbelievably rare signature of Paulus. The only time I have ever seen it on a citation is a printed/stamped version and even then that is rarely seen.

Comment

Tks Kev. Yes, I am wondering myself and can not remember having had one in my Hands in the past....

Comment

Hello Lionel !

Very nice and very interesting !
          Many thanks for sharing.

Best regards,

Archi

Comment

It's the firts time I see the signature of Paulus. Thanks for sharing!
            The last promotion was done just a week before he surrendered. Looks like "a last minute promotion", frquently done before the capture by the officers to their men to grant them a better treatment during the captivity (and a better pay).

Comment

Great, signature!!

Ciao Oriano

Comment

Cool signature indeed!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X