Group to Oberleutnant Herbert Neuer DKiG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Group to Oberleutnant Herbert Neuer DKiG

Not posted anything for some time......here's a group I bought about 12 years ago from Dion, some years later his first Soldbuch popped up.

The Soldbuch was issued 3.9.1939 whilst serving with 2/Inf.Rgt. 107 and is signed by Oberleutnant Richard Greßler DKiG.
    Not too many entries in it and clearly replaced after the French campaign.
    Page 22 only bears the award of his Iron Cross 2nd Class and is signed by Oberleutnant Heinrich Abbel DKiG.

Also with the entries for the award of the Infantry Assault Badge, confirming three days for the award. Again signed by Abbel.

This write up actually comes with the group, written for the funeral:

Herbert Neuer was born on 14.1.1918 as the son of junior lawyer and Leutnant der Reserve Karl Neuer in Köln and baptized Protestant.
    After four years elementary school and six years of secondary school in Köln he entered judicial school as the class of 34 and graduated in 1937.
    From 3 November 1937 as volunteer he joined Infanterie Regiment 107 in Mainz. 1.10.1938 he was promoted to Gefreiter and from the 10th appointed Reserve Offizier Anwärter. 20.10.1939 promoted to Unteroffizier, from 1.5.1939 appointed Fahnenjunker and 1.12.1939 promoted Feldwebel.
    After a training course at the Offizier Schule Döberitz he was transferred to Infanterie Regiment 124 defending the west border, then used in the home war zone.
    On 1.4.1940 he was promoted to Leutnant and was a Kompanie Führer in the French campaign. From 30.7.1941 as Kompanie Chef until his death on 2.5.1942 after being heavily wounded on 3.2.1942 during the fighting in Sevastapol for the Crimea peninsula.

Awarded:
    15.7.1939 D.R.L. Sports Bade gin Bronze
    30.8.1938 Marksman Lanyard
    20.3.1940 West Wall Medal
    15.6.1940 Iron Cross 2nd Class
    18.7.1940 Infantry Assault Badge in Silver
    12.8.1940 Iron Cross 1st Class
    9.3.1942 German Cross in Gold

Letter dated 11.2.1942:

My dear
    A sad message: On February 2nd, 1942 I was seriously wounded. Shell fragments knocked off my right lower leg. Also breast shot (lung) on the upper right and on the shoulder joint on the left. Can't write myself because there is too much risk to life!
    Best regards
    Yours Herbert

Unique death card with the German Cross in Gold on the front, photo in uniform and photo of the grave. Also inside is a letter regarding his admission to hospital by a medical Gefreiter....the latter I have yet to translate....it is entitled "Ein Ganz Tapferer!!!"
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ian Jewison; 03-18-2020, 04:47 PM.
    Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Also the Wehrpaß to his father:

Hauptmann Karl Neuer
    Born 19.12.1882 in Euskirchen.
    Landesschützen-Bataillon 758 in France, Landesschützen-Bataillon 340 in Lunéville, 15.2.1943 formed II. Bataillon, Sicherungs-Regiment 95 in Dijon, France. Landesschützen-Ersatz- und Ausbildungs-Bataillon 12 in Diedenhofen.

Awards:
    28.10.1914 Iron Cross 2nd Class
    3.3.1935 Honour Cross of the World War 1914/1918
    23.7.1938 Civil Faithful Service Medal in Silver
    30.1.1941 War Merit Cross 2nd Class
    30.1.1944 War Merit Cross 1st Class

Additionally a travel document where he signs as Hauptmann und Transportführer. I have yet to identify the Generalleutnant's signature on the front.
    Attached Files

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Finally father and son's driving licenses.

Enjoy!
      Ian
      Attached Files

Comment

Very nice piece you have there and from an early DKiG winner.

Keep going, sure a lot of hidden jewels still waiting to see the light in your man cave.

Angel
        Looking for DKiG Heer winner Soldbuch who also won the TDB and/or CCC, specially in Silver.

Comment

Very nice group!

The letter is very sad to read. He thought himself out of danger and on the mend.

On February 11, 1942 - he ends the letter that he dictated:

"Kann noch nicht selbst schreiben da noch zu schwach. Lebensgefahr vorbei!"

"Can not write myself because (I'm) still too weak. (but) Danger to life over!"

He signs the letter to his parents himself: "Viele Grüsse und K(üsse) Euer Herbert"

Comment

The last two lines of the letter to his wife would be more like "I still cannot write myself as I am yet too weak. Out of critical danger!".

Comment

Great group and Great photo Ian.

Ciao Oriano

Comment

Ian,
                Nice Group and nice to see you post again.
                Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by naxos View Post
                  Very nice group!

The letter is very sad to read. He thought himself out of danger and on the mend.

On February 11, 1942 - he ends the letter that he dictated:

"Kann noch nicht selbst schreiben da noch zu schwach. Lebensgefahr vorbei!"

"Can not write myself because (I'm) still too weak. (but) Danger to life over!"

He signs the letter to his parents himself: "Viele Grüsse und K(üsse) Euer Herbert"

Originally posted by pauke View Post
                  The last two lines of the letter to his wife would be more like "I still cannot write myself as I am yet too weak. Out of critical danger!".

Thanks for the corrections

Comment

Stunning Ian! Thanks for sharing with us.

Comment

Great Group Ian, tks for showing. Here is ABBEL... If you have 5 minutes to send me a sharper scan from is deacth card, that would be an interesting addition for my DK-Database...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Some other items......ration/clothing/tobacco cards, letter regarding purchase of black leather gloves for the funeral, obituary cards etc.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Oh...and this was glued on page 22 of the Soldbuch when I got it....of course I took it out
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Lionel H. View Post
                            Great Group Ian, tks for showing. Here is ABBEL...
                            Very nice Lionel!!

Comment

Thanks to both for showing this jewels here.

Keep going

Angel
                              Looking for DKiG Heer winner Soldbuch who also won the TDB and/or CCC, specially in Silver.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X