KIA Soldbuch, Panzer-Lehr Division, GI Bringback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KIA Soldbuch, Panzer-Lehr Division, GI Bringback

This Ersatz-Soldbuch (Replacement Pay Book) belonged to Obergefreiter Hermann Thedens who resided in Österborstel in Schleswig-Holstein. Before his Ersatz-Soldbuch was issued to him on 19 February 1943 by Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon 333 (Infantry Replacement Battalion 333), he had fought with Grenadier-Regiment 251. Four days before the Soldbuch was issued to him, Thedens received a medical examination and he was deemed fit for tropical duty. On 18 March 1943, he was issued equipment, including a K-98 Mauser rifle with a breach cover and received various immunizations during the same month. Thedens was assigned to Marsch-Battaillon 50 (March Battalion 50), which was also known as Marsch-Bataillon Afrika 50 (March Battalion Afrika 50). On page 19 we see that Thedens set foot on African soil on 7 April 1943. On 24 April 1943, he received a vaccination for Fleckfieber (Typhus). It seems that Thedens was not captured in North Africa, but was evacuated.
    It appears that Thedens, probably sometime in early 1943, was assigned to the 2. Kompanie (2nd Company) of Panzer-Grenadier-Bataillon 130 (Armored Infantry Battalion 130), which may have been a designation for the I. Bataillon (Ist Battalion) of Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment 130 (Armored Infantry Regiment 130) of the Panzer-Lehr Division. Such anomalies aren't uncommon because clerks sometimes wrote odd unit designations.
    Thedens apparently was in action in Normandy and killed by an American soldier on or about 12 June 1944. On the cover of the Soldbuch, the American soldier wrote the following text: Soldiers paybook taken from sniper* who got Sgt. Peterson. I got him, June 12, 1944. Thedens is not listed on the German War Graves website, but the registry is far from complete. Curiously, the American soldier originally left a space between "June" and "1944" and later wrote "12," in between using a different pen. This suggests that the American soldier was not absolutely certain of the date that Sgt. Peterson was struck by a bullet from Thedens' rifle and the day that he killed Thedens. Writing to the Einwohnermeldeamt (Persons Registration Office) in Österborstel would likely reveal more about Thedens' death.

Barry

* American soldiers often referred to any German soldier with a rifle firing from a distance as a sniper. No entries in Thedens Soldbuch show that he received sniper training or was issued a sniper rifle or equipment.
    Attached Files

--
    Attached Files

Comment

---
      Attached Files

Comment

I don’t know if you saw it, but on the bottom of page 19 is written that he reached African soil on April 7th 1943. So I highly doubt that there is a Normandy connection.

Comment

Barry, thanks for sharing!

Alfred - I think he could have made it out of Africa. There was a lot of time between April 1943 and June 1944. One month after he arrived the campaign in North Africa was over, though.

But to Alfred's point, are there any entries in the soldbuch after April of 1943? Do you have any other provenance (like information on the vet, etc) with the piece that would help tie it to Normandy?

Update: I did not find him listed on Volksbund as KIA or MIA.

Jordan
          Last edited by Humble480; 03-05-2020, 12:48 PM. Reason: Update

Comment

The last unit is Panzergrenadier-Bataillon A30. Not 130.

In the book "Army History: The Professional Bulletin of Army History" i found (via Google) the following quotes:

Afrika-Replacement-Bataillon A30 was assigned to Division von Manteuffel as division reserve in January 1943.
            For example, on 2 February 1943 Afrika-Replacement-Bataillon A30 was ordered to give up 47 artillerymen to the 21st Panzer-Division, 51 antiaircraft artillerymen to Regiment Buhse, 126 men to Tunis Field Bataillon T4, and 100 additional men to Tunis Field Bataillon T3, out of an original strenght of about 1000 men. In exchange, however, it was formally etatisiert (officially converted to a standard table of organisation) as Panzergrenadier-Battaillion A30, one of the few to undergo this transformation.
            I'm collecting anything related to the towns Castricum and Bakkum during WWII.
            Also soldbucher from 116pzdiv. And 1944-1945 eastfront pockets, kampfgruppe and Oder front.
            My website: Gotrick.nl

Comment

Originally posted by Admiraal View Post
              The last unit is Panzergrenadier-Bataillon A30. Not 130.

Comment

Originally posted by alfredfort View Post
                I don’t know if you saw it, but on the bottom of page 19 is written that he reached African soil on April 7th 1943.
                Stamp from Marschall-Foch-Kaserne (Tunis).

Last entry: Fleckfieber inoculation April 24,1943. According to the Soldbuch pages shown here, it doesn't look like he made it out of Africa.

Having his occupation and inoculations translated to English might indicate that he was taken POW in Africa by Americans

Last edited by naxos; 03-05-2020, 09:24 PM.

Comment

And the Pz. Gren. Lehr Regt. were numbered 901 and 902.

Comment

I have to agree with the other guys. He was captured in Tunisia.
                    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

There don't appear to be any Sgt Peterson casualties that fit this timeframe either, unless he was a battlefield promotion and it was never recognised.

Comment

Congrats, exactly what you look for Barry!

Comment

very nice Afrika is even better and much more interesting as Normandy

Comment

Great SB with background, thanks for sharing and the expert's comments. Bring back Stuff from Africa is probably more unusual than Normandy.

Comment

Originally posted by HAF View Post
                              very nice Afrika is even better and much more interesting as Normandy

Originally posted by Lionel H. View Post
                              Great SB ... Bring back Stuff from Africa is probably more unusual than Normandy.
                              I agree with that!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X