Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soldbuch 10./FJR15 - Prüm river crossing 75th anniversary

Is it coincidence? Or is it fate?

When I acquired this Soldbuch of Günther Adler, who served in the 10./FJR15, I was amazed when I noticed a while later that he was photographed on a well known US press photo which was made at the mill of Dausfeld on 28 February 1945 the day he was captured. I knew that the III./FJR15 was positioned along the hills of Dausfelder Hardt (537) and Hünert (551), which lay just north of the town of Prüm, there this battle has my interest for the last decade.

Today marks the 75th anniversary of the Prüm River crossing. As I have spent a decade researching this particular battle, it has finally resulted in an educative website about these events. I hope it is not a problem if I advertise it here:

www.imwesten.com

As the Soldbuch concerns, Günther Adler was sent to the FJR15 as a recruit in February 1945, after the 5th Fallschirmjäger Division sustained immense losses during the battle of the Bulge. As the 5th Fallschirmjäger Division was taken from the front line by the end of January 1945, it was rushed back again as the US 4th Infantry Division had broken through near the town of Prüm. Arriving in the villages of Gondenbrett, Hermespand and Willwerath the Fallschirmjägers fought alongside the 2nd Panzer Division in the early days of February to prevent the Americans in reaching Prüm, in which they failed. By the end of the month the Americans and Germans found themselves dug in along the Prüm river, where the Germans awaited the allied push towards the Rhine any day now.

That day was February 28, the day operation Lumberjack started in the 4th US Infantry and 11th Armored Division sector. As mentioned before the village of Dausfeld was held by the III/FJR15, with a meagre 300 men. Ordered to seize this village and the surrounding heights was the US 22nd Infantry Regiment, to be more precise I and L Company of this regiment. Under the cover of darkness the men of I and L company descended the Wolfsschlucht area north of Prüm, and took the mill of Dausfeld in the early hours of the day. Immediately the attacking companies were sent to their objectives; L Company was to take the hill of Dausfelder Hardt, and I Company would take the village itself.

A few years back I briefly came in contact with a son whose father fought at Dausfeld as well. Second coincidence had it his father was a good friend of Günther Adler, he could confirm he and Günther were captured near the village on the 28th. I also came in contact with family members from the US whose relatives fought and died in this village. And the coincidences above were not the only ones, as I worked out the battle for Dausfeld in detail, more information came to light (almost literally). However I fear the context of the story together with the photo’s would be lost if I post the whole thing on this forum, so perhaps it is best to read it on my website:

http://imwesten.com/missing-in-action-at-dausfeld/

I hope you will find it as interesting as I. Lest we forget.

Kind regards, Nick
    Attached Files

Very nice!
    I like your site too.

Keep up the good work 👍🏻

Comment

Great piece and interesting website!!

Comment

I agree. Am always impressed when someone does the work to present history in such a manner. Nice Soldbuch as well!
        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Hello Nick

Good piece and good job! 👍

Comment

Another great and tremendously researched Soldbuch! I am getting jealous!

I really like the American made dogtag as well... I have seen them before, but always thought they were just "issued" to killed German soldiers... interesting to see they were also handed to POWs.

Comment

http://imwesten.com/missing-in-action-at-dausfeld/

Great website Nick!

Comment

Thank you for all the kind words. Yes, to be honest this is the best piece from my collection. But that is purely because of the story and the battle in which Adler was captured.

I believe there are more US press photo's made at Dausfeld where we can see Günther Adler. Unfortunately I am only in possesion of bad quality copies. Hope to find the good ones some day. Below is a series of three, from the 4th US Infantry Division regiment books. I am almost sure Günther Adler can be seen on the far left.

Nick
                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X