Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WP - Strange unit Western front late 44/ early 45

Hi,

Since I got this WP I kept wondering about this unit. Schwere Kompanie Regiment D. There are no results on the web whatsoever but I asked a friend and he told me this:

"The Schwere Kompanie Regiment D, or also called "Organization D", was a tactical experimental unit, where mix Tiger tanks, with Panzerkampfwagen III Ausf. N.
    Each unit had 3 companies, each with nine tigers and ten Panzer III. But due to the lack of tanks, these units eventually had 20 tigers and 25 Panzer III. The Tigers had the task of destroying enemy tanks, buildings and bunkers; while the Panzer III with short 7.5 cm cannon, should fight against artillery positions, heavy machine guns and against the infantry."

I don't know where he got his information from unfortunately. I moved on and forgot about it but now it is starting to itch again.

Could you guys shed some light?

If you need more scans feel free to ask,
    Thanks a lot,

Mats
    Attached Files

Hi Mats

The Axis History Forum has a very brief thread on this unit:

https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=9796

Regards,
    Michael

Comment

"D" stands for "Wehrmachtbefehlshabers Dänemark"

I think the schwere Kp is simply the infantry mortar coy and related to these sub-regimental units formed in May 1944 from convalesced soldiers.

Grenadier-Regiment D 1101, Grenadier-Regiment D 1102, Grenadier-Regiment D 1103, Grenadier-Regiment D 1104, and Grenadier-Regiment D 1105.

Last edited by naxos; 02-11-2020, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Hmmm - maybe not. Hopefully someone else has a more informed view!

Originally posted by Lutfen View Post
        Hi Mats

The Axis History Forum has a very brief thread on this unit:

https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=9796

Regards,
        Michael

Comment

Originally posted by naxos View Post
          "D" stands for "Wehrmachtbefehlshabers Dänemark"

I think the schwere Kp is simply the infantry mortar coy and related to these sub-regimental units formed in May 1944 from convalesced soldiers.

Grenadier-Regiment D 1101, Grenadier-Regiment D 1102, Grenadier-Regiment D 1103, Grenadier-Regiment D 1104, and Grenadier-Regiment D 1105.

Thanks a lot Naxos! Makes sense,

Mats

Comment

Hello !

I would suggest a 3rd and different solution :

Gren.EuA.Btl. 488 and Granatwerfer-Ausbildungs-Kp. 407 both should belong to WK VII.
            (In this WK VII, the regimental support companies as Pzjg. and IG-Kp. did have the number of
            "their" replacement division (here Div.Nr. 407)).

On 21.11.44, a Gneisenau call up was made in WK VII and several units were sent to the Oberrhein front.
            One of those battlegroups was KGr. 3/VII, which sometimes was also designated as Rgt. Wacker or I.-III./Rgt. D.

Finally, this battlegroup (or only elements of it) were incorporated into 16. VGD.
            (1316 was the number of divisional units of the 16. VGD).

Therefore, I would assume, that this soldier was part of the Gneisenau call up with KGr. 3/VII and finally was incorporated into 16. VGD.

All this needs to be confirmed in detail, but in general, it would fit smoothly to the last 4 entries on the units page
            and also would roughly match the dates, when the changes occured. So this would be my best guess.

Best regards,

Archi

Comment

Originally posted by Archi View Post
              Hello !

I would suggest a 3rd and different solution :

Gren.EuA.Btl. 488 and Granatwerfer-Ausbildungs-Kp. 407 both should belong to WK VII.
              (In this WK VII, the regimental support companies as Pzjg. and IG-Kp. did have the number of
              "their" replacement division (here Div.Nr. 407)).

On 21.11.44, a Gneisenau call up was made in WK VII and several units were sent to the Oberrhein front.
              One of those battlegroups was KGr. 3/VII, which sometimes was also designated as Rgt. Wacker or I.-III./Rgt. D.

Finally, this battlegroup (or only elements of it) were incorporated into 16. VGD.
              (1316 was the number of divisional units of the 16. VGD).

Therefore, I would assume, that this soldier was part of the Gneisenau call up with KGr. 3/VII and finally was incorporated into 16. VGD.

All this needs to be confirmed in detail, but in general, it would fit smoothly to the last 4 entries on the units page
              and also would roughly match the dates, when the changes occured. So this would be my best guess.

Best regards,

Archi
              I think you're on to something!

Comment

Thank you Archi! Your knowledge keeps amazing me!

Mats

Comment

Originally posted by m3a1mats View Post
                  thank you archi! Your knowledge keeps amazing me!

Mats
                  +1

Comment

Originally posted by M3A1Mats View Post

Mats
                    +2

Comment

Archi always has good information. Great addition to this forum.
                      Jeff

Comment

Originally Posted by M3A1Mats View Post

+3

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X