Merit Cross... Repaired?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merit Cross... Repaired?

I got this piece in a bundle and I am not sure what to make of it. Repaired? Fake with an original pin?

Thoughts?
    Attached Files

It’s a late war type
    All the finish is gone but the pin retains some

Comment

Originally posted by upbeek View Post
      It’s a late war type
      All the finish is gone but the pin retains some
      Interesting, it just seem strange that the medal itself was completely wiped out while the pin remained. Is this something someone did to strip the silver? I can hardly believe it's wear or a chemical reaction?

Comment

Yes ... it is a known chemical reaction between the applied silver coating and the zinc . Something that cannot be stopped .
        The pin is a separate piece and is made out of a Ni-alloy ... so the finish does not get "eaten" .... showing just normal aging and wear .

Also ... it looks like the pin is marked 4 for S&L .

Douglas
        Attached Files

Comment

Fascinating, I had seen some with unusual wear but I had passed on them in the past since I was not entirely sure of the reason. I appreciate the insight on this and yes, I had noticed the mark on this piece as well. Thank you Douglas, I really appreciate the knowledge entrusted here today.

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas 5 View Post
            Yes ... it is a known chemical reaction between the applied silver coating and the zinc . Something that cannot be stopped .
            The pin is a separate piece and is made out of a Ni-alloy ... so the finish does not get "eaten" .... showing just normal aging and wear .

Also ... it looks like the pin is marked 4 for S&L .

Douglas
            Good eyes Douglas.

Is a Late war production, mine is same this one showed.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X